Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I just wanted to brag a little on my team. They are 11 this year and I have had them since they were 6 weeks old. I am not a real farmer and this is just a great hobby for me. I have been driving them quite a bit this summer and I hope to do a pumpkin patch for kids this Oct. We have been out on the local blacktop road on every outing without incident, we have seen everything from side by side UTV's to large trucks to Harley Davidson motorcycles. I have wanted to do more with them so I decided to try to get them ready to spread manure. I have a ground drive spreader so I decided Sat morning was the day to start. I took them out up and down the subdivision road to warm them up and make sure we were on the same wavelength. I then went back to the house and hooked up to the spreader. I went into the upper pasture and made a loop around, i wanted to make sure the different pull and noise wouldn't affect them. My original intention was to stop after a couple laps. They took it so well, actually never even noticing it was there, that I decided to kick the beaters in. The spreader was empty and I pulled the lever and asked them to step up. They startled a little with the noise but just a quick walk, no hint of wanting to run. They stopped when asked and stepped up when asked. By the time we were 2/3 of the way around we were walking easy and by the 2nd lap they couldn't have cared less.

I know for most of you this is all old hat but taking new steps for us is extremely gratifying and exciting. Now I just have to get a weekend when my son is off work so he can run the loader and load the manure for me.

Have a great day.

Todd

NoraWI says 2016-08-03 07:19:57 (CST)

Well done, Todd!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Uncle Jed says 2016-08-03 09:24:54 (CST)

Todd, I read some time ago that the best results with the manure spreader are obtained by loading by hand. This helps spread the load in the machine and avoids overloading the parts of the spreader. (Also more beneficial for the health of the loader, eh??) ;-))

Billy Foster says 2016-08-03 10:45:37 (CST)

Sounds like a nice team, Todd. Perhaps spreading and other farm chores are old hat but I wish my team had the road experience it sounds like yours has. The road by my place is pretty quiet. I worry about the day some Harley comes roaring by.

Sounds like a team worth bragging on.

Billy

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-08-03 13:42:22 (CST)

I don't read any bragging here, just a man who is happy that his team is taking new experiences in stride. Also, this is an encouragement for others that with the right preparation horses can be trusted to do new things.

JFox N Central NE says 2016-08-05 00:30:52 (CST)

Its not bragging if you done it. Well done, glad that your team is being so cooperative.

Jim

Todd NE WY says 2016-08-05 09:21:25 (CST)

Thanks all, they have been a great team. Jed, I am sure loading by hand is better for me and the spreader but I end up with to many chores and not enough daylight on the weekends.

Todd

Wes Lupher says 2016-08-07 07:56:16 (CST)

Bragging on your team is certainly allowed here I'm sure.

Every chore you accomplish with animal power is more satisfying than anything done with a tractor in my book.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.