Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Does anybody have any information about the in-row mower that was talked about either last year or the previous one? I think the reports about HPD at some time said that several people were working at it. That is actually what a vegetable grower would need to mow the narrow pathways between vegetable beds.

Uncle Joe says 2016-07-23 06:00:57 (CST)

The mower, manufactured by I&J with gearing provided by the same people who produce Athens Enterprises horsepower treadmills, was at HPD earlier this month. I will have photos in the next (Oct/Nov) issue. Still a prototype, the machine was dramatically improved from the one that was at Southern Indiana for HPD 2015. I do not have information regarding when it might be available for retail, but hope to know that soon.

I am heading off to my weeklong bike ride this morning with my wife and daughter so can't post any photos here until I get back.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-07-27 17:34:22 (CST)

Well, Joe, I think you and your family must be halfway through your biking adventure. Do you have a lot of scenic highways or is it mostly corn and soybean fields ?
Stay safe and cool on the road!

Uncle Joe says 2016-07-28 10:24:54 (CST)

Yes, we've finished four days of riding and will head home Saturday afternoon. This year's route is in the southern part of Iowa so our landscape is similar to northern Missouri, long rolling hills. It becomes more flat as we get further east. Sunday was 50 miles with 2,600 feet of climb, Monday was 75 miles with 4,000 feet of climb, Tuesday was 58 miles with 3,300 feet of climb and yesterday we rode 65 miles with 2,700 feet of climb. Beautiful country and lots of corn and beans plus smaller acreages with hay, pasture and fields of harvested oats and spelt.

Beautiful weather for us this week. Last week was very hot and so will next week. But this week is highs in mid 80s to low 90s and lows in mid to upper 60s at night which makes for great sleeping in our tents.

Have seen a donkey, one lovely bay mule, and lots of saddle horses. Looking forward to the last few days of riding then getting home and back to work.

K.C. Fox says 2016-07-29 23:32:04 (CST)

sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Uncle Joe says 2016-08-02 11:50:41 (CST)

Here's a photo of the demo in-line ground-driven mower from I&J. The spec sheet on the machine said it should be available in the fall from dealers with steel or rubber wheels at an approximate price of $2950.

Joe

Uncle Joe says 2016-08-02 14:52:46 (CST)

Here's a short video of the mower in action: https://youtu.be/vaK7f4oaWrk

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-08-03 13:50:32 (CST)

Thank you, Joe!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.