Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I would sure like to live closer to a bunch of horse guys so we could have an old fashioned "Threshing Ring" Our grain could be cut with a binder, then threshed farm to farm. A big noon meal and plenty of cold drinks could be shared....but it is not to be. Our harvest is brought in by family at least, but I use a small combine.

As I sit on the seat, I dream about my grandparents and remember their stories from days gone by. The harvest is always bittersweet. I fear the old stories will be lost. The grain provides my horse's fuel for a whole year. I am grateful for it....but the time when neighbors helped neighbors, all with a common goal, was a wonderful thing. I am sorry to have missed those hard, hot, wonderful days!

JerryHicks says 2016-07-20 06:36:20 (CST)

I have always wanted neighbors who were at least somewhat like minded to myself. Currently, as far as I know, I'm the only non-Amish farmer in our county who farms with draft power, and sadly, I've had to buy a tractor just to keep up with some things. I had until a couple of years ago, been able to trade work with some of my Amish neighbors as well as participate in some of their working bees. Then the ones with whom I was closest , moved away. In some ways it feels a bit like being stranded on an "agricultural" island. It's always a treat to be able to visit with someone who has an interest in horse and mule farming, or just hands-on farming of any sort.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Billy Foster says 2016-07-20 06:52:09 (CST)

Ralph you can sure bet I would be there.
I worry folks do not see the satisfaction that can be had in a hard day’s work. I think people tend to be a little lazy and if there is no need to work any harder than they have to they will not. It is a shame since they miss the pleasures that come from hard work, the obvious satisfaction of the job being completed to how sweet a simple glass of water tastes during a break. I have thought about it in the past and I think one of the things I like about working hard is that it allows me to enjoy relaxation so much better. I know that may sound obvious to some people but I am not talking about just being tired, I think it is more about being content. An example: we have a rocking chair in the corner of the kitchen, often I will come in from work just before supper, usually around 7, and make my way to that chair. Boots off but still in my work cloths I may have grabbed a beer or a lemonade from the fridge on my way by. While enjoying my drink I talk with my wife or the kids or maybe just watch them and rock a little. Its perfect. My mind is quiet, the day is pretty much done and I only have relaxation ahead of me until the morning. I know it is simple but because it is simple my mind has the time to enjoy it.
Billy

Mike Rock says 2016-07-20 14:20:59 (CST)

Just finished helping bind 20 acres, speltz, rye and wheat.
Threshing tomorrow. Don't know if we'll use the steam engine or a tractor yet.

Hope to get the ring going. We'll be grinding with my mills over the winter. Using my bolters and stuff too clean, package and market as well.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-21 15:22:04 (CST)

Billy, I understand every word that you said. I can see that you "get it" . Life is sometimes best observed from that chair surrounded by family.

Mike...those are interesting things that you do. I sure wish I could lend a hand and learn a few new things!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-21 15:23:56 (CST)

Jerry.... I know what you mean. I get lots of stares as I work my horses, plenty of smiles too. There are a few who just shake their head...but I just smile and wave. The way I see it... I'll always be a man "outstanding in my field". :)

Wes Lupher says 2016-08-02 13:09:17 (CST)

I too understand the 'stranded' feeling. Nearest like minded people who work horses /mules are a looooong way from me.
Not many people around here understand why I do it. They love their a/c and expensive equipment, or are too big to get it done with horses.
It would sure be nice to have a few neighbors to pitch in and help each other.

Mike Rock says 2016-08-02 14:57:19 (CST)

Hi Wes,
Where are you at? Didn't there used to be a map here with folks location on it?

Uncle Joe says 2016-08-02 14:59:08 (CST)

No Mike, there was never a map. There was the front porch locator on the old site. It is now under "Member Profiles".

Joe

Fort Causeway says 2016-08-08 22:49:01 (CST)

Guy stops by last week asking to buy some of my oldest broken HD equipment, out of the blue. Told me a dozen stories of how he loves to work teams, and rebuild antique equipment. Says he drove by and watched me work in the field with teams for years, and admired the work, but was told by others that I was an organic weirdo from out east, so he never did stop till now. Strange.

Wes Lupher says 2016-08-13 13:47:13 (CST)

I'm in southwest Wyoming Mike.

That's kind of a funny story Kevin.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-08-13 15:30:14 (CST)

One experiences that not too rarely, Kevin, that stupid bias keeps people from good contacts. Which difference should it make in meeting somebody who works with horses where he comes from or what his background is, when what he is doing seems interesting?

Wes Lupher says 2016-08-15 00:12:17 (CST)

True statement Klaus.
Most of us using horses are 'quirky'.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-08-15 08:27:58 (CST)

Well said Klaus and Wes!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.