Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Yesterday, once again I got to help my Amish buddies thrash their speltz. This is a fun day for me every year. I am so glad to be included. This year, our grandson is visiting from Montana, he got to go too. I am sure there will be lots of stories told in a Montana high school this fall, because my grandson was wide eyed most of the day.
He got to see what real work is. He got to feel chaff and dirt down his back, as it mixed with sweat. He got to experience just how, "many hands makes light work", feels.
He got to relish just how good a glass of cold water can refresh a man. He got to enjoy a large home cooked Amish meal and be surrounded by good wholesome fun.
I get to experience these things often and I am glad to have been able to pass this experience down. It was a wonderful day.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-16 06:28:38 (CST)

I found this photo from the other day. I work good horses and I appreciate good, quiet, well mannered teams. This pair worked all day in the heat and flies, never making a mis-step. Often they were driven by boys under the age of ten. Proof once again that work makes good horses.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-07-16 19:05:19 (CST)

The team probably is well cared for. I find that horses, whose needs are taken care of and who trust their people, make much better partners than those who aren't or who are just taken off the pasture when needed. Reliability with horses just as it is with people is a matter of consistent reliable treatment.
Working together in a group is a need and deeply engrained in the human psyche. The loners are the exception and some of them are loony.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-17 18:30:33 (CST)

Klaus, there is wisdom in your words. I especially agree with the loners having a tendency to be loony....in all beasts, including man.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.