Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I went to the Jamesport sale it was big had alot of farm machinery a whole bunch of using buggy's one with a wheelchair ramp. more ringer washer than I have ever seen together. and most everything else that you could use. A fairly big bunch of work horses and other horses and ponies. two big long days as many as 5 auction rings going on at once if you go take a friend or you will miss seeing something sell. Met Klaus K , Lee and several of there friends had a wonderful time. I had lunch at there house on the way home saw the r farm horses and every thing that was there, some day I will go back and stay longer. I left home at 10pm the 5th was there at 8 am the 6th and was home by 3pm the 7th hjad a real good time and next Jully I will be at Jamesport again. of course I will be at Waverly this fall. Thank's to all of the people I met and talked to and the great people who put the sale on I had a great time.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-07-10 22:16:26 (CST)

That was a very busy week for us, on three days I went to Jamesport, once to take something up for that consignment auction, and on two days to acquire something. Wednesday we were not successful waiting it out till what we wanted came up for sale, but the next day I was lucky.: A nice handcart with two big wheels for $ 60 and a 4 ft. cultipacker for $ 275 ( Strange that the spell check doesn't like cultipacker - I guess those city computer nerds just haven't heard about it yet!) By the way, K.C. also made off with some very usable loot at low prices.
I couldn't attend the draft horse sale, because I waited for quite a while till my cultipacker came up, but I saw that they had a lot of good usable horses there and K.C. told me, that Haflingers weren't high-priced.
Meeting K.C. was very nice and entertaining. As anyone can imagine, who follows our conversations here on the Front Porch, we had a lot of agreement when it came to dogs and horses, but on some other topics, of which we touched many, we had our differences as well. It was a very nice evening.
K.C. seems to be indestructible to get on the way after such a long day.
K.C. if you had come to see the farm today, it would have looked different. No, we haven't been able yet to take care of the devastation in the barnyard where 6 tall black locusts trees were snapped by straightline winds o Wednesday and Thursday morning. But meanwhile I got to plow, disk and harrow several plots and plant late summer and fall crops. Today I had the horses also in the mower and then I plowed out several rows of potatoes.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-07-13 09:23:36 (CST)

If I had thought about it I would have got some small branches off of those Black Locusts limbs and planted them, then I would have some black locusts trees of my own. They tell me limbs about like a lead pencil 6"-12" long plant them in wet manure and they will root then later you can transplant them where you want the tree. In good soil they will make fence post in a few years. cut to length when green because when dry they are real hard the post as like Hedge (Osage orange) post real hard can't drive a staple in them, they drill slow to. We have hedge post that have been in the ground 75 years. I never thanked you for the lunch but will now THANK YOU

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-07-13 18:46:28 (CST)

Well, K.C. let's try to get you some of those branches next year when you come down again. There will be more.
It was a lot of fun having you, you are welcome!

NoraWI says 2016-07-13 20:12:45 (CST)

Black locusts make great fence posts! I can't say enough about them! I have two groves of them and have been using them extensively for almost 30 years. And, yes, cut them to size, peel the end that will go into the ground and drill any necessary holes when you first cut them because you will have a heck of a time after they dry and age. A grove of black locusts is actually one entity as they sprout from roots and spread that way, in addition to seeds, of course. Didn't know they can reproduce from a started cutting but have had posts sprout for a while after they were put into the ground. Good, useful tree! Good for making rustic arbors, too!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.