Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

First Happy Fathers Day to all the dads on the board.

This is a 2 part question. I am in the process of rebuilding a wagon. It is an old wagon that I am taking down to the running gear and starting over. The running gear is partially original wood and some steel parts. The wheels have been converted to auto tires with brakes on the rear. The problem with these brakes is the master cylinder is old and hasn't been used for a long time.

So first question if you were doing this and staying with the hydraulic brakes what modern(read junk yard available or cheap new) master cylinder would you use?

Alternately I have thought about just replacing the rear hubs with new ones with electric brakes on them. Have any of you used electric brakes on a wagon? I know you would be pretty much limited to full on or off no variability of braking intensity.

I welcome all thoughts or advice.

Todd

Neal in Iowa says 2016-06-19 23:21:55 (CST)

Electric brakes could be set up like a truck brake controller (the slide portion). Not sure on the details, but would be like a light dimmer to vary the voltage and allow some finesse of the brake application.

Neal

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Andy Daniel says 2016-06-20 05:20:31 (CST)

I wouldn't go the electric route. I have taken the brake shoes to the auto parts store and they were able to tell make and model of the axial. I replaced everything on the brake system. Sounds like a fun project.

grey says 2016-06-20 12:48:47 (CST)

In my experience, if you have to replace the MC, you'll probably end up having to replace the wheel cylinders (or calipers) as well.

A used brake MC is a real gamble. Who knows how long it's been sitting? Any gasket material could well be toast. The bore could be rusted. The piston itself could be scored or rusted. I know what you're thinking - worst case scenario, you might have to rebuild it.

I have rebuilt more MCs than I care to think about and now I just don't do it. I buy a new one. Unless you have the tools to hone the cylinder bore, I wouldn't even consider trying to do a rebuild. And even then - when I can get a new one for $30, I tend to just drop the money.

A new cheap brake MC is your best bet. They'll only run you about $30 if you can fabricate the mount/pedal system yourself. Have you looked into replacing what you have with an identical one so you can use the same infrastructure? If you get one that doesn't match, you might have to adapt or modify your brake line fittings too. Another expense.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.