Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

What are young geese called?

NoraWI says 2016-06-15 09:04:17 (CST)

Goslings.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2016-06-15 09:09:26 (CST)

Goslings.

Thank you Jerry for these. I rarely have an answer but I read every one. I have learned quite a bit from these.

Todd

vince mautino says 2016-06-15 09:40:31 (CST)

goslings

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-06-15 19:41:08 (CST)

I agree with Todd. These things are very informative

JerryHicks says 2016-06-16 06:11:24 (CST)

Goslings.

I'm going to post something here, in response to other folks posts, and I'm aware I probably should make it it's own post but I'm going to leave it right here and hope folks read it. I really appreciate the thanks and kind words in appreciation of me posting these farm questions here. I know I've said it before, but there are times I feel like "Eh, nobody reads this stuff" "Nobody really cares about what people did seventy years ago in farming" "This stuff is so obsolete, why bother?" etc, etc. This usually happens when I've had a bad day, or I'm feeling down on myself. And then I see a post of how much folks enjoy the questions. And now and then, I learn something, myself; something I can apply to my own farming enterprise, or just some bit of trivia that is so interesting I tuck it way to whip out in a conversation at a party or some such, and I remind myself that I do care about this stuff, and I know there are others who do as well. I am sure I never say it enough, or if I ever have, but I really appreciate this site and I appreciate each and every person who visits it. It doesn't matter if you post or just read something and move on, I believe each and every person who come here really seems to do there bit to make it an aptly names "Front Porch". We "visit" here to share our success and our struggles, our sorrows and our pleasures. We come here to find knowledge and tips or to share the same. Some times we come here just to keep in touch with friends (whom may or may not have ever met in the flesh), but we know we feel safe and perhaps comfortable (for lack of a better word) here. There is another site I visit and occasionally share these things, or maybe a story or an idea, and I had just visited that site before coming to this one. I won't say which it was, but it begins with Face and ends with book, and I felt a bit sick to my stomach upon departure. I in no way felt comforted after "visiting" with my "friends" and I really didn't feel like I gained anything or left a bit better than I had previously been. I felt more like I just wanted to crawl back in bed and hide, for a long long time. And I have to admit, before coming on to post my farm question for the day, I was tempted to just close my browser, check the weather and go on out to tend my stock and start another round of riving my shingles and just drop out into my own world for the remainder of the day. But, I took a deep breather, clicked on the Rural Heritage icon, and in a split second I was here; "sitting" on the Front Porch, I read my previous post, took a deep breath and I relaxed. So, thank you to each and everyone. Thank you for just being you, thank you for being "kind!?" thank you for being civil, thank you for being here.

NoraWI says 2016-06-16 06:45:25 (CST)

And thank you, Jerry, for being here and sharing. The different people who make up the Front Porch are a rural profile of the United States of America. There are some with whom I don't agree. But they are all *good* people. And you are among the best. I come here pretty much daily for my much-needed infusion of *peace.* Some subjects are perturbing but such is the world today. And I do learn a lot. Thank you for your contributions. This site would be barren without you.

BrianL says 2016-06-16 07:30:00 (CST)

Jerry,
Very well said! The Front Porch provides a much needed place to share stories, ideas, ask question and, in general, meet up (virtually that is) with like-minded folks in a civil manner. Your farm questions, along with much of the content contained within, helps preserve something very necessary but at great risk of extinction should that knowledge become neglected and therefore lost. This is a great site and your effort is appreciated. For a lack of a better phrase, this is a community. And community is the backbone of our way of living and ways of farming.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-06-16 12:10:36 (CST)

I lurked around this site for years. I only responded once in a great while. Then one day a guy seemed upset with the way things are here on the "new" front porch, since the upgrade. I could see that some of his concerns were correct. I decided right then to help make a better forum by getting involved.

I had been reluctant to post, because I didn't want to seem like a know it all. Lord knows i have plenty to learn. I come here to "visit" too, with like minded folks. I appreciate every one of you posters and visitors.

Jerry, you said it very well. This is an uplifting place for me.
This is a "community", for sure, one that I am proud to be a part of. Thanks everybody!

Billy Foster says 2016-06-17 10:51:32 (CST)

Jerry I could not agree more.
Here I can post for instance that I cultivated an acre of corn or put up some loose hay and people here know the value of that. No concern about what color I am or what political view I should take or anything else. The questions or comments will be supportive and/or inquisitive. Here people know what that work represents and what it says about the person doing it. If I have a question, I can ask and expect to get honest answers that may represent many many years of experience, maybe hundreds of years.
I have made friends here, some that I have taken trips to see. I would not have had that if it were not for this community.

Just my 2 cents
Billy

So. Oh. Bill says 2016-06-21 13:38:50 (CST)

Jerry,
The last thing I do every night is log onto Rural Heritage Front Porch. It is my relaxation and a treat to myself after a long day. The question of the day is always something to look forward to, There is a old saying that is : We are supposed to learn something new everyday, and some times that only comes from your efforts, When I went to the Flemingsburg Amish School Auction to look for some bargains, there was another reason for attending and that was to meet the JERRY HICKS that has brought a lot of smiles to this old face. It was very nice meeting you and putting a face to the name

Thank you for your efforts and dedication.
Bill Lemar

JerryHicks says 2016-06-22 05:32:05 (CST)

I really do appreciate everyone's kind words. I honestly think I couldn't contemplate not posting farm questions now even if I wanted to! I really am pleased to see that these posts have been so well received. I worry that some of them border on nostalgia and are of no practical value, coming from a different time period as they do, but some of them are very applicable and I'm glad to hear that other learn from them as I do. I love these old farming publications and some of the old practices they cover are still very useful on a small farm (and likely so on some large operations!). At the risk of sounding like a "book farmer" I recently was given a book called The Farming Handbook. It's a great old book that was once published by the Kentucky State Department of Agriculture. It not only covers the economics of running a small farm in my area, it covers all cash crops and forms of livestock that were kept in the period of the late 30's through the 40s. It give the ideal number of man, and horse hours that would go into tending any of those crops. In the back is a calendar that covers what a person should have accomplished by the end of an given month in order to successfully raise those cash crops and maintain their farm. I've developed the habit of checking this calendar regularly and it has given me some high goals to shoot for. In addition to these old books, I like talking farming. I like to hear what others do on their places, and share my own farming experiences, and there really is no better place to do that than here. Thank you, each and every one! Bill, it was great meeting you at the Amish auction and I really enjoyed it! I usually look at the auction as a chance to meet new people and catch up with friends, some of whom I haven't seen since the last auction. I hope to see you at more in the future, and you know if you are ever down this way again, you are welcome anytime.

JHItch says 2016-12-14 16:38:26 (CST)

I thank you too, JerryHicks. I have to admit that some of the things that you've posted are in the class of "what nuckle head was not paying attention in kindergarten" then I remember that there are many people who don't know where eggs and milk come from and they would faint if they found out that their bacon and sausage were once living.

Josie

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.