Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

2 years ago

rh comment count

posting for another person who has a mule that has started jumping fences. Yes, electric wire but he has large pastures and rotates and would like to hear of other ways people may have used to break this habit. He uses electric fence in areas and the mule does respect but just looking for old time remedies, if any. I suggested to him to hobble front foot to hind. any other ideas

JerryHicks says 2016-05-26 05:21:31 (CST)

From my experience a mule doesn't jump a fence like a horse. They usually go over it flat footed rather than getting a run and go. I'd try to get him in a smaller paddock where I could keep an eye on him and put a dog chain around his neck where enough of it would hand down i front so that when he decided to go over a fence, he'd get the chain into it first. I'd make sure I stayed on hand to monitor the situation but I'd think he'd soon learn that the fence could still reach up and bite him. Of course, in my area there is a good market for a jumping mule. Coon hunters like a mule that will jump. They carry an old blanket on the back of the saddle and when they want the mule to jump, they get off and lay the blanket over the fence, the mule then jumps the blanket.

2 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

lc says 2016-05-26 07:07:34 (CST)

Yes, one comment he did get was he didn't know what he had. A valuable mule that would jump and to encourage it. Here is a link to mule jumping in pea ridge arkansas:

pearidgemulejump.com/

vince mautino says 2016-05-26 08:00:40 (CST)

Hard to put a reason on it. Is it pastured with horses or other mules and then separated? Is it a new mule? is it trying to get to better pasture? What does it do or where does it go after it jumps the fence?

Sometimes I think they do it just for fun.

Usually these things mean you have to be smarter than the mule which some folks just aren't. ( grin)

Mules generally do better caught up in smaller pens or corrals where they associate with humans more.

K.C. Fox says 2016-05-26 20:42:39 (CST)

I have a riding molly that jumps the fence, just because it is there. If the fence is 5' or more she wont jump less she jumps. when the rest of the horses and mules come in the corral if you feed one of those she will jump back in for feed. I cant get her to jump for me when I want with a saddle or bridle or halter on, If you fire a gun she will jump back where she belongs.

dbarker says 2016-05-27 22:20:12 (CST)

tie a wire or visible rope at eye level. I had a mule that would do that. I ran an electric wire at eye level and never electrified it. But he knew what it was and wouldn't jump it. It was interesting to watch him clear the fence. Every time he jumped, all four of his feet touched the fence. It didn't matter if it was 3 ft or 5 ft.

Dave

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The April | Mary 19
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available at
Tractor Supply Stores
throughout the US.
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Samson
Harness

A master harness
maker on harness