Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

Went to the local Amish school auction and I have to admit this was a first for me. I said before I left home I only needed three things and I won't buy more than that. Well, the first two things on my list sold not long after I got there and I bought them, two curry combs and a few tubes of wormer. The third thing on my list that I got was a pig pole, also called a boom pole by some folks. The rest of the time I spent visiting with people I hadn't seen since the last auction, some folks I hadn't seen in longer than that, and some who were new to me; nice to meet you So. Oh. Bill! It felt good to not feel like I had to hang on every word of the auctioneer and to hang back on edge of the crowd and visit. I made one impulse purchase before leaving though. An Amish friend of mine had bought two 10 ft. farm gates because no one else bid on them. They were new and he didn't need or want them and was trying to figure how to haul them on his buggy. I gave him 60. a piece for them. I also did not break one of my auction traditions. I have left the sale with a walking plow every year since it started. Though there were no plows sold in this years sale, I bought one from a cousin who was up visiting from NC. He came to the auction and brought the plow with him, so my tradition of buying plows at the sale still stands. In spite of a little rain, it was good crowd and I'm sure it was a good sale. I know it was a good day for me.

So. Oh. Bill says 2016-05-24 22:38:42 (CST)

It was a good day for the auction. The sun was out and the rain held off until the end of the day at Flemingsburg, Ky. It rained on me both driving to and from the sale. I had the great pleasure of meeting Jerry Hicks for the first time and sure enjoyed talking with him along with picking some deals at the sale. I try to support the Amish School auctions when I can and I always seem to find some treasures that puts a smile on my face which is a good thing.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.