Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I can't help but write a few words before I go out to do chores about Ralph Rice's operation as I just finished watching the second episode on RH TV. I had looked forward to it, after reading Ralph's articles in the magazine and also his little book " Cultivating Memories". But this exceeded all expectations. What a well run , smartly diversified , ecologically sound and economically sensible operation. Animals and land well cared for , and great craftsmanship all around. I am always in awe when I see the ingenuity of farmers who with relatively little capital input have a successful farm. If all farms were run like that the rural environment would be better off and rural economies would be thriving.
And Ralph, I see , we share our love of BIG horses, who are well-behaved.

Uncle Joe says 2016-05-17 16:51:41 (CST)

Very well put, Klaus. Ralph is the real deal who walks the walk AND talks the talk.

Joe

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-05-17 17:05:11 (CST)

Thank you Gentlemen,

Klaus, yes I surely do like a big strong, well behaved team. I don't care what breed. I am partial to Percherons, but simply love good horseflesh.

It is my hope that just as you describe, one day small farms will dot the landscape for the good of us all. If I can give just one person the inspiration to make that choice, then I have succeeded as a small farm spokesman.

This farm is my passion. My love for it comes from my ancestors. I hope I make them proud. This is my spot in the universe. I will do all that I can to care for and protect it. Using horses is a perfect fit for me and I don't want to imagine life without a pair on the end of my lines.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-17 22:07:55 (CST)

And Joe, as soon , as you have the combined videos ready I'll get a couple because I know some extension agents who have to see that. ( I also did that with Jason Julian's dairy farm and even showed that to a local FFA chapter). I may tread on some toes here, but I feel that what passes for farms nowadays, the highly specialized row crop farm of soybeans and corn, without livestock, oftentimes even with corn on corn and no rotation at all, makes a mockery of farming, whereas operations such as Ralph's can show a totally different and very reasonable approach.

Uncle Joe says 2016-05-18 17:37:26 (CST)

vimeo.com/167134565

Last week's show. I will post this week's show next week.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-05-19 21:15:47 (CST)

Thanks Joe, lots of out of town folks without "TV" can catch the shows!

Klaus, thanks again for the high praise. I think it should be said that what I do on my farm is not new. I just realize how farming once was and copy some of the ways of those who have gone before me. I will say these methods work very well for me.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.