Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I bought a two-year old filly as some of you know. We have been getting used to each other. She has had the run of things where she came from. She is finding out that we have a routine here. After a few days of her being a pushy, almost obnoxious pest, she is turning into a delight to have around.

I don't think that I have had many horses who have ever enjoyed being brushed more than she. Her coat and mane was a bit unruly, perhaps shaggy was a better word. She didn't like being in the aisle. She didn't like being tied and under my control. She fought the halter and monkeyed around a bit. I just let her and the halter work it out while I did chores and other jobs, paying her no attention.

Now, she will walk right over to the place where I tie them for harnessing and grooming. She waits to be clipped up. Once I start on her with a brush or curry comb she quivers her lip and practically goes to sleep as I remove the old winter hair. She knows her stall and has bonded with her stall mate.

She pushed my buttons the first couple of days, but I bit my lip and stayed calm and persistent. I can be a hot head sometimes, but I walked away instead of reacting. She comes right to me now looking for praise or a friendly pat. I think going slow with her is best. She is a smart one. Once I build the trust bond, I think we can move forward with her training. I will have her harnessed and started very soon.

vince mautino says 2016-05-16 08:54:24 (CST)

Amazing how horses and mules respond after they know the human isn't going to hurt them

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Wes Lupher says 2016-05-16 21:16:15 (CST)

Horses and mules remind me of people in that regard. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to each other.
You're right Jerry, patience is probably the biggest asset we can have working with and relying on animals for our power source.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-05-17 16:52:20 (CST)

Vince and Wes, You are both correct! It is respect. Everyone gets a clean slate. It's up to them how it all turns out.
Animals and people are much alike in that regard, just as Wes points out!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.