Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

For those of you who have the patience to type in some German words into the search engine, there is a 9 minute video about a German farmer who has a pretty unique way of loading wrapped round bales and feeding them to horses. I found the " YouTube Rundballen futtern. Mit Pferden. Fur Pferde " video while serfing the Internet. Usually it was the second title that came up, the first one just showed a picture. The music is a bit dramatic for the occasion, but the method is very interesting and the discipline of the horses, a team of Haflingers is impressive.

steve says 2016-05-03 12:11:39 (CST)

Thanks for informing us about that video. I love to see people getting their work done with well trained horses.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

G.D.Rose says 2016-05-04 07:11:00 (CST)

I liked the video very much, but one thing I found interesting was the harness was western style harness. Then I watch some of the other videos that came up with this one. I do not read. Or speak German so I guess the one I liked the best was a government educational video and here it is. Landwirtschaft gesture: Ackerbau in der Schweiz um 1936. The thing I found most interesting was they led the team when farming. If you under stand the video and there's more then showing how to grow potatoes let me know, thanks for showing us new things

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-04 13:24:55 (CST)

Just came back from making deliveries this morning and saw that G.D. Rose found another video and has some questions. Before I get to that I'd like to repeat that " serfing" actually meant " surfing" and that " serfs" belong to the other thread.
Landwirtschaft gestern( farming yesterday) Ackerbau in der Schweiz um 1936 ( agriculture in Switzerland in 1936) obviously originally was an instructional film for farmers advising them about the benefits of precise farming and several implements. The film starts out with general hints for field preparation and the pertinent use of equipment, shows methods of fighting weeds and then goes to the topic of growing potatoes the best way.
The horses are led mostly for greater precision and safety, especially in cases when the farmer would have to walk far behind because of the attached implement. Although I saw it as a boy in Bavaria, that was not general practice.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-04 13:28:17 (CST)

The Western harness in the video about round bale transportation is easily explained: There aren't that many harness makers in Germany anymore, and those who make traditional harnesses know what they are worth, so a good number of modern horse farmers ( although they aren't too numerous) started importing those harnesses.

Robert Dennis says 2016-05-04 22:45:27 (CST)

Here's the link.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkNal3wWGg

G.D.Rose says 2016-05-05 06:30:04 (CST)

Thank you for telling me facts about the two videos, it interesting to learn new information as I'm try to teach my daughters about the old ways of using horses.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-05 09:33:48 (CST)

Robert, I don't know how to get the link to light up and to be immediately accessible the way you do. It would be easier for the Front Porchers if one had that ready. So, what's the trick ? I'm definitely not a computer nerd!

Robert Dennis says 2016-05-06 07:40:00 (CST)

I just highlight and copy what is posted in the top line of my computer.. for instance on the top right now is….https www.ruralheritage.cpm with a bunch of other stuff kind of in shadow… I'd highlight that, copy it and past it anywhere else i wanted to link to this posting… on some things, such as youtube, there is a button that sez' "share".. they give you different options to where you can share it to popular places, like Facebook.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-06 12:06:45 (CST)

Thank you, Robert. I'll try that even though right now I'm not sure I understand. Like I said, I'm not a computer nerd. I probably never left the type-writer technology .

K.C. Fox says 2016-05-08 10:25:29 (CST)

thanks for the video you can tell the team has done that before. real horses that have been used.

Wes Lupher says 2016-05-16 21:11:20 (CST)

That'll work.
I wish I had the videos we made of parbuckling round bales onto my hay wagons.
It's really not hard to do.
If I get a chance will load a few if someone is around to video.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-05-17 17:23:04 (CST)

First chance that I had to watch the video. Nice. Well broke team. Even the horses at the hay feeder were well behaved not crowding the man or the team. Thanks for posting Klaus

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.