Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Recently, I purchased (from this site) The book "Working Horses" by Charles Phillip Fox. Joe says there aren't many left in inventory. They found them while sorting through the warehouse. Anyway, I have been really enjoying the beautiful pictures in the book.

The pictures are in black and white. They show horses working at many tasks from the days gone by, like 1930's 1940's and earlier in the last century. I use horses almost every day and I am still amazed at what they did. I am talking about the men as well as the horses!

House movers, loggers, circus men and all manner of delivery horse are captured working, no posing, just a snapshot of real life. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys pictures such as the J C Allen photos that we get to see in Rural Heritage magazine!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-04-20 08:24:29 (CST)

Is that the same as " Horses in Harness" by the same author with a different title or a different collection ?

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Uncle Joe says 2016-04-20 08:45:06 (CST)

Klaus, it is a different book. Horses in Harness was published by Reiman Publishing in 1987. It went out of print after a few years. It was a great book but was poorly bound and we ended up having to make a lot of customer refunds when we were selling it so we actually started selling it with a disclaimer. We published Working Horses in 1990 after spending the better part of a year working with Chappie Fox at his home in Baraboo, Wis., picking photos and writing captions. I am grateful to have had that time with Chappie. He was one-of-a-kind.

Another book we are proud of is They Did it With Horses by Philip Weber. I visited Phil in Phoenix and we pored over his collection of photos and came up with captions for the book.

I am attaching photos of covers of these three books. They Did it With Horses and Working Horses are both available on our online bookstore or by mail/phone. They are hardcover books printed in the USA.

Joe

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-04-20 11:21:50 (CST)

Klaus, Horses in Harness is a great book too, but this one, "working Horses" to me, is even better.
The dust jacket is missing, but the hardcover book stands on its own. The pictures inside are awe inspiring.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-04-20 12:43:26 (CST)

I have " They did it with Horses" , and although I have an extensive collection of horse books, I'll give RH a call about the "Working Horses" book. You cannot have too many books.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-04-22 01:17:08 (CST)

Well said Klaus!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-04-24 14:15:52 (CST)

I got the book only two days after I had ordered it( great service!!) and of course read it and studied the pictures already. Great information that I never can get too much of, although like I mentioned I already have an extensive library. Two of the things that are striking when one takes a closer look at the many pictures are a) the horses that pull in the most dangerous and exciting circumstances , the fire horses, almost exclusively work without blinders and b) many of the drivers, especially those of the more elegant vehicles hold their hands close together or behind each other quite different from the " style" that one sees so often today where people have their hands far apart.
Why am I mentioning these two observations ?
The fire horses had to be the best trained and most dependable animals, and there must have been a reasons for no blinders. We had that discussion here before.
The farther apart one has one's hands when driving a team the harder it will be to shorten or lengthen the lines for changes of direction or speed without unduly interfering with the necessary, yet only fine pressured connection with the horses' mouths.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-04-27 21:31:38 (CST)

I finished mine tonight. I will look through it often. There are so many great photos it's hard to believe. The fire and circus pictures were neat. The stories intermingled with the photos helps to explain a lot.
Klaus, you are an observant man and what you say about holding the lines is right on target.
I am very glad to have this book on my shelves!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.