Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

Thanks to all who replied.
Please note that I was asking about feed, not for evaluating his happiness with life, when to put him down, or responsibilities of previous owner. I made a decision to "rescue" him. He is still enjoying life. I'm sure I can't and won't even try to use him, but I enjoy him and his teammate and as long as they seem to be enjoying life, I'm gonna try to allow that to happen. I have a good team of drafts, and I enjoy drafts. These boys, Duke and Dan are a couple of good looking boys just to be around.
FYI, I have little severe winter weather (I'm in south Texas), lots of spring, summer and fall grass, and I plant oats each fall which is winter grazing for the horses. They also have lots of trees for shade and windbreak. They also have free access to a "tank" (a pond for y'all Yankees), plus a water trough. All my horses are also fed a small amount of grain morning and night, primarily so that I can check on their health twice a day.
FYI for now I've decided to geed Purina EQ SR, as it is readily available. Thanks again for the responses. kelly

KM says 2016-04-15 13:52:28 (CST)

Sounds like you are doing right by the old guys. I have a couple of ponies that are well past their prime. They do well but they need a little extra TLC. I threatened to sell them 5 years ago when they were aged but sill of value. My wife and kids said I would be for sale next. Guess Jack and Cricket will eventually be buried here on the home place.

Oil, oats, beet pulp, and a quality complete feed and you can put weight on most anything.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.