Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

The young woman who helps me with my horses purchased a bred cow in Dec. It had a calf about three weeks ago. Three days later the cow got sick. Vet took samples and gave antibiotics. Tests came back -staphylococcus aureus. Vet said most dairy farmers would just put down cow as it is almost impossible to cure. Does any front porchers have any experience with this bacteria? Any help would be appreciated. This is her only cow. Right now it is acting fine.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-03-26 12:04:22 (CST)

Robin, it sounds like you have been given advice from the Vet. He is the professional.
Farming can be tough at times. This is one of those times. She may indeed eventually heal her cow after much time and expense, but the vet gives sound, logical advice.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Bertie says 2016-03-28 06:09:50 (CST)

I agree and I disagree with Ralph (no offense), but if the vet is one of these new whipper snappers that got out of vet school in the last 10-15 years and never handled a cow till vet school. Then they don't know how to fix it unless they can do it with a drug.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-03-28 15:45:30 (CST)

It's ok Bertie, disagreement makes for good conversation!

I just think the young lady can put her time, efforts and dollars into a better animal. Staph is an ugly character.

K.C. Fox says 2016-03-29 00:16:18 (CST)

Just treat the mastitis as needed most dairy's have some and they just don't drink the milk, my brother in-law didn't feed the calves that milk. treat it and it will go away most of the time 90%. You don't know how many range cows have mastitis because you don't check each cow for it.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-03-29 21:15:06 (CST)

KC, brings up a valid point, however, the strain of staph that you know you have is a bad one. It is very resistant to penicillin. It is almost impossible to cure and comes back with a vengeance. It will travel up the teats and cause deep scarring and abcesses. This is the strain that causes MRSA in humans.

Just a little more food for thought.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.