Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Each spring we are jammed with work. First the maple syrup season is upon us. The weather dictates that process. The horses and I gather sap on warm days after a freezing night. This job can be almost daily for short stretches, but usually works out to three or four times a week until the short 2-3 week season is over.

This is also the time I want to spread my fall and winter compost on the ground where corn will be planted. This ground I plow once the compost has been spread, again using horses for all of this work.

I also farm around an off farm job that requires me working rotating shifts. I have to balance competing jobs, using horses without killing any of us. I have found that the best way to approach this task is to just do "something" every day.

I plow with three horses, so yesterday, I set my powercart up for three horses too. I will haul a load of compost out to the field, spread it, then hook to the plow. I can plow til lunchtime then hook back on to the spreader and come to the barn for lunch. After lunch a second load of manure/compost can be hauled out the the field being plowed and spread. I plow til the end of the day, then bring the spreader home.

I am spreading two loads of compost by simply taking the horses back and forth to the plow. I wonder why I haven't thought of this before now?

Good luck to all of you as we all head out for spring work. Be safe Have fun!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-03-26 12:33:19 (CST)

Well, Ralph, here in NW MO we are a little bit ahead of you, at least when it comes to planting /sowing vegetables. I have a good amount of potatoes ( not all) planted already, also spinach, kale, arugula, radishes and peas. We did get some frost , but it hasn't hurt anything .
Frost sensitive corps will have to wait till the second half of April.
I sure am looking forward to Joe's video report about your operation.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-03-27 11:57:40 (CST)

Klaus, we typically can't garden any frost sensitive plants until after Memorial Day. A few folks take a chance and rush it some. They make out once in a while.

I have made big strides with early gardening since switching over to some raised beds. The soil warms faster. I just use row cover on the nights I fret about frost.

I should be a little farther along with my plowing, but I want the compost job all finished or at least mostly finished first. The plowing and spreading idea helps me to move both jobs along a little bit.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.