Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

It was supposed to start raining last nigh, didn't start until noon then turned to sleet and snow balls. 35-45 mph wind visibility down to 100 yds, Was still 40 degrees at 6 this morning it is 28 now & still snowing & blowing. I fed my cattle hay late last night. I just fed & watered my 2 teams that are in today. Put chains on my 2 wheel drive pickup today in case it is worse tomorrow. I will fed the cows tomorrow Hay and cake as I brought them home to the calving lot they are going to start calving 1st of April. I took 2 saddles apart need to recover both one is a miller kid saddle that Granddad gave me Christmas 1948. the leather was wore out. It has had 2 riggings put in it and the last one was wore out. I'm going to recover it with new leather I put alot of miles on that saddle about 8 other kids rode it alot , my Heiser the rigging was wore out only 1 inch of leather out of 4 was holding. I traded for 2 more saddle trees 1 bowman 14" seat and a wade tree that I wanted should be able to get one together I have 3 others to ride. I have quite a bunch of work to do before summer cattle come in. Hope everyone is doing OK & doing well. The best to all of you

Robert Dennis says 2016-03-24 08:12:33 (CST)

We got a little rain and just a shift of snow.. we could use more or it's going to be dry… got green grass, but it's short… been working on the new house, you better come visit and see it one of these days.. should be in it by June 1.. but you never know...

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Jonathan Shively says 2016-03-24 09:07:31 (CST)

53 degrees while running my AM bus route. Supposed to be in the low 30's by the PM bus route. Supposed to get in the mid 20's.

Started raining at the end of the bus route this morning, supposed to be turning to snow tonight. It is spring in Indiana!!!

Sharon says 2016-03-24 13:28:53 (CST)

We ended up with a lot less snow than predicted. They said 6-8 and it's hard to tell because the wind blew so bad, but i'd say we ended up with maybe 3". If it wasn't anchored down yesterday it's in another state today. Melting today so it's not as hard to take as a snowstorm in January when there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
I believe I have more work in the shop than I've ever had. Always a busy time of year with the repair work, but the custom stuff has finally come back. I've got work through at least the end of July. Good problem to have. It seems like the horse industry has had new life breathed into it, at least for now. I hope it continues.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-03-24 14:14:52 (CST)

It seems you're staying busy, K.C., no matter what the weather is like.
We planted about 250 lbs. of potatoes on Tuesday, anticipating the rain, that was our second batch, have another 350 lbs. to plant in April. Spinach, arugula, kale, radishes and peas are peeking out of the ground and we have begun harvesting spinach planted in November. Everything else will have to wait till it gets warmer. Right now around 48 degrees.

K.C. Fox says 2016-03-24 21:06:05 (CST)

Yes we only got about 4" in front of the house real wet didn't blow into drifts. Most all of the snow is gone now just a little left here in front of the house. At least we got some moisture out of the snow. Yes I need to get up in SD soon. I took my son's leather support vest apart this afternoon and rebuilt it, we think we have it right now, He has had 7 hernia operations and needs to wear some support all the time. he offered a guy in a boot shop $300. to build him one out of leather the guy would not even try. We have rebuilt this vest 3 or 4 times he has wore it for 3 hours now and says it feels really good the best he has ever had all the Dr's would give is an elastic belt about 1' wide and it would roll and pinch no mater what we done to it. the vest we built we put buckles on the front and adjustable straps on both sides so he can adjust it to fit. My grandson came last nite, one of am granddaughters just came to visit so i will quit for now. the best to you all, just keep going forward.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.