Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 8 years ago

8 years ago

rh comment count

Well, I put my new mule in the harness for the first time since he came here, and I have to say, he's a smart one. I've fooled with him quite a bit since I first got him, and he's improved a heck of a lot. He was promised "broke single and double, will ride and work well, catches and handles easy." And he did til the previous owner was out of sight. But, that's no big deal, really. When I first put him in the barn, he flew into kicking and really worked my old mule over with those back feet. So, I said old boy, I know how to straighten that out. I put him in with my mare mules and after they had a go at him, he's never offered to kick anything else, and now he's a perfect gentleman around all the rest of the herd. After a while longer fooling with him, I can whistle in the morning and he comes right to the gate, puts his head in the halter and is ready to come to the barn. Some mornings, if I have my hands full, I can open the gate and turn him out in the yard, and he will follow me to the barn and go to his stall. He does, now, stand perfect for shearing, harnessing or what ever I choose to do with him and doesn't mind having his ears handled. So, back to his first time in harness for me. Ground drove him a little in the round pen, and everything went fine. He knew gee, haw, back and whoa. Did everything just fine, so I opted to take him out for ground driving in the driveway and pasture. We turned from the hitching rail and started down the drive, got about 20 feet and he went sideways and wanted to turn back. Got him lined out to go on and he did, but he wanted to go at a run. I reminded him he had a bit in his mouth with a few bumps and lightened up as soon as he slowed to a walk. We made a few more passes and he forgot what "gee" meant. He'd give me his head to the right, but then run through his shoulder to the left. So, I managed to let the lines drop down his hip so I could use him for leverage and stay behind him, and we went in a few circles, before he stepped to the right. He managed to bump into the wagon, walk backward over a sled, and back into the barn wall, before stepping out like he should. I noticed though that each of these bumps were done pretty lightly and corrected pretty quickly, which told me he wasn't serious about getting away, he was just checking to see if I as serious about what I was asking. He put me through about every test he could think of that day, but we still ended on a positive note and I've established ( I think anyway) that he doesn't trust me, and doesn't really know me yet, and we're gonna have to spend a lot more time at the basics before he sorts out what he can and can't do. Of course if I keep getting behind I may have to hook him with one of my bigger mules and let him have a go on the disc harrow. I think he's a good mule at heart, he just needs to learn I ain't such a bad guy either.

NoraWI says 2016-03-16 08:14:39 (CST)

I love your positive attitude, Jerry. Within limits, of course, there are no bad mules, horses, donkeys. However, there are mishandled ones. You appear to be doing all the right things with him and he will turn out to be a good mule for you, too.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

vince mautino says 2016-03-16 09:12:50 (CST)

A lot of people dismiss the idea that a new mule needs time to settle in with new owner. That may take awhile. While some think that may be a week or so, some mules think that may be 6 months to a year.

That new mule may work pretty good when you first bought it,but you will see a marked improvement in it's performance after a year or so if treated right.

New mules will test new owners and john mules seem to be a little more predisposed to doing it. Your one statement that the mule worked good up until the new owner left is a tell tale sign of all this.

The January issue or Western Mule magazine has a very good article entitled "Bringing Home The New Mule" that everyone can benefit from. New and experienced mule owners a like

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-03-16 19:00:18 (CST)

I read all of this with great interest and also had to laugh a bit, but as Nora says, I really like your attitude, Jerry. Since I never had a mule, I just ask myself, how was that in the "old days"? Did people take as much time as is suggested here by Vince or did they just force the mules cruelly and did the mules' response to that treatment then earn them their reputation as being stubborn and willful ?

Dan in Illinois says 2016-03-16 21:53:44 (CST)

Back in time animals were hooked with other broke animals and worked hard and often because people had no other option for surviving back then. It truly was survival of the fittest, man and animal. Now we are all weak in comparison. JMHO

K.C. Fox says 2016-03-17 01:06:44 (CST)

I won't say that Vince is wrong in fact I agree with him. But there are several mules that came here one day and at the latest they were working under a saddle or in a harness the next day, if not the day they came here. some improved with time others did not. Some came here just to see if they were broke, we rode or drove them some left that day, others stayed around for years. All could be rode or drove when they left and were in various stages of being broke to work, if a mule bucks me off with a saddle we will harness him up and work him. May be they don't work as good as they should, but will show you if they are really broke, and have been used not just a yard ornament. I do the same with horses I have a friend that brings a team around just to see if they are broke to drive, I have a team of Quarter horses 7 & 8 years old full brothers he could have took them home the day he brought them here there broke broke nothing wrong with them just need some work there also broke to ride. I love working with horses and Mules it keep me active and alert.

JerryHicks says 2016-03-17 06:35:07 (CST)

I didn't mention that during this episode of "working" the mule, I had company and they wanted to come out and see the mule being worked. I don't know why, but it always seems like I never have an audience when everything goes right! So, I did have to do some explaining, or I felt like I did, about it being a new mule and we were just getting acquainted. I've told several people that since I've been working mules, I believe the mules make me a better person. I've learned a lot about patience and controlling my temper. And actually I have to say it's becoming fun to look at situations like this as sort of a puzzle to be figured out and solved. It doesn't help to fly off the handle and act a fool. Sometimes (most times?) it will make things worse. But I do think this mule is a good one, and I do think he'll come around. Time will tell. It is a little aggravating as one of my other good mules is laid up after a slip on the ice this winter. She's improving but I don't think she'll be in any shape to work til late spring maybe early summer. That leaves me with one good work mule (though she won't work single), the new mule, and one old mule (around 30) that never really was a work mule, but he's a real good saddle mule. I think I've sorted out the plowing. I had pastured the pigs on the ground that will be in tobacco and I really think I may be able to skip plowing there. Dragging and disking may be all it needs, and hoping the lame mule is better in time to cultivate. I'm currently using the old mule on a sled to bring shingles in out of the woods. He won't drive, no way no how. If a person tries to force him, he lays down, but I can hook him to a load of shingles and call on him to follow me, and he'll walk them from the woods to the barn with me in front or beside him. It's tough getting along with what most folks would call plugs or screws but it's never dull!

NoraWI says 2016-03-17 07:53:24 (CST)

I suspect they ate a lot of mule sausage in olden days.

vince mautino says 2016-03-17 09:14:32 (CST)

There are always exceptions in the mule world. Working,breeding,training them for over 45 years is what I based by opinion on. I must admit, in the early days, I used methods that were prevalent then. Since then I have studied a lot more about what is in the mule's mind and why they act or react the way they do.

Notice, I did say a person can take a new mule home and work it. Then they usually get better. Some of the ones that won't are because they have been mishandled in the past and never get over it. Then too if the mule is handled by a lot of people correctly, then they do no to thru that settling in phase.

Some it is only a short time, and some it is a lot more time

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.