Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

I have a mccormick number 7 mower. was wondering about putting rubber tires on it instead of the steel. I have to travel a short way down a paved road between hay fields (a quarter mile maybe). Any advice on pros and cons? Thanks

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-24 16:00:42 (CST)

I prefer the metal over the rubber wheels. There is never any risk of a puncture!

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Neal in Iowa says 2016-02-24 21:13:43 (CST)

Steve,

I can suggest an idea that I have only half tried (started, but not finished). Find some 7.50 by 16, 235-85R16 or 245-75R16 worn out tires. They do not need to hold air, but should be reasonably intact. The idea is to make a rubber "set of chains". My thoughts are to cut the tires into two semicircles and then latch the two together around the steel wheel. I would suggest making the cuts on a miter so that as the cut rolls to the ground does not all hit the ground at once. This would smooth the ride.

An option to go pneumatic without going to the expensive original 5.00 by 21 tires is to use a pair of the above sized tires on rims. If you can find broken wheels (spokes intact) you could return to the steel wheels you have. The spokes are cut to fit the rim and a set of semicircle plates on the inside are bolted through to the rim, clamping the wheel to the spokes. I have photos of this that I will need to find, but I will upload later.

The above sizes are about 31" tall, which will speed the sickle up slightly over the 32" steel.

Neal

Neal in Iowa says 2016-02-24 22:13:07 (CST)

I found the photos.

They are larger than appears to be allowed, and I was not able to edit how they appear.

email me if you want me to forward to you

Neal

Billy Foster says 2016-02-25 05:55:48 (CST)

I travel that distance over pavement to one of our fields and have not had any problems. I have thought about putting rubber over the steel wheels but for the few times a year I mow that field it just didn't seem needed.
I think if it was more frequent or a little longer of a trip I may consider bolting rubber on the wheels, I would most likely never consider converting to a pneumatic tire given the cost.
Billy

NoraWI says 2016-02-25 06:37:20 (CST)

Metal wheels may not puncture, but they are extremely damaging to paved roads.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-25 10:57:06 (CST)

Your are right, of course, Nora, I do not have to travel over any paved roads, I thought, Neal maybe could travel on the shoulder.

Robert Sutton says 2016-02-26 15:28:27 (CST)

I bought one with rubber tires. I haven't used it but a friend of mine did. He had trouble with the tires sliding and not rolling. I did talk to a gentleman at a sale and he said it might be out of time. We did put snow chains on and my friend said it did work better.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.