Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

So I have this project at work (I design building) where the lady is building the Barnmahl. As in the fanciest barn known to man. This barn isn't big but a very nice building. Looking at feed back on the best sliding barn door rails. We want good stuff that will last, not squeak and work best.

So if you were wanting to build the barnmahl what would you do?

vince mautino says 2016-02-17 17:20:30 (CST)

Can't help, I am on the opposite end of the pay scale

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-17 19:38:37 (CST)

I have to confess my ignorance. What's a " barnmahl"? Could not find the word in the dictionary either. I know a barn , of course, and " Mahl" is a German word for meal or dinner, but as a compound it is unknown to me.

Fort Causeway says 2016-02-17 22:09:12 (CST)

No offense KM but if I had a dollar for every time we gave practical cost saving building ideas to engineers and architects that they took all the credit for, my family would have a wheelbarrow of dollars to blow on farming.
Please don't tell me this is for a lady in Sheridan Wy. and a superinsulated concrete walls and roof barn with ramming speed proof pocket doors.....

Bertie says 2016-02-18 08:15:52 (CST)

Klaus, I think he's saying its a barn, but more like a Taj Mahal for horses.
I too can't help with input, I can only dream of the Taj Mahal of barns.

KM says 2016-02-18 09:11:04 (CST)

I to am on the other end of the pay scale to afford this type of barn. But on occasion it is fun to draw them up and play with. I know what I like in a barn. I know how I want my barn. This is a fun exercise to what she wants. The area we are building this requires 2-3 million to buy in the starter neighborhood. To have horse property and all it is a fair bit more.

Sorry that you all took offense to me posting something outside of the norm. I am always amazed at the jealousy people show. These folks are down to earth common people that have worked hard and made good on their dreams. No different than you or I. Both members of this family grew up in blue collar homes and were taught to work at a young age. The father started with a paper route to a lawn mowing business to landscape architecture to supplying materials for the same. Remember it is just as easy to look down your nose when looking up as down.

KM over and out!

Redgate says 2016-02-18 11:55:02 (CST)

KM, not sure how helpful this will be, but author Cherry Hill has written several books regarding this subject of building great horse barns. I think there are even some DVD's out there. Amazon.com lists a bunch of them. Her work is geared toward folks with money to spend, though I also found it very helpful to design from a practical standpoint. She discusses all sorts of options a builder might not normally consider, to help with efficient traffic flow, tack room set up, stall design, and much more. Hope that helps!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-18 13:08:45 (CST)

Thank you, Bertie. I should have read KM's post more carefully, then I could have guessed. He mentioned " fanciest". It just didn't click here.
To the discussion, some people build fancy houses with two by fours and particle board, others build barns. In this case it seems the materials will be a lot sturdier.

Andy H says 2016-02-18 14:38:43 (CST)

I have good luck with cannon ball track.

So. Oh. Bill says 2016-02-18 19:15:46 (CST)

Thanks Andy H for answering the question. I too have to agree with the canon ball track. It's the only track that cleans itself of wasp nest and mud daubers nest.

Todd NE WY says 2016-02-18 20:56:47 (CST)

KM,

I will do some looking around, I was at the National Western Stock Show in Denver last month. I picked up some pamphlets from stall vendors and there was one there that was really Cadillac. They had basically anything you could dream up, and afford(LOL) and their fit and finish was fantastic. I will try to locate their info and post it for you.

Todd

Jonathan Shively says 2016-02-22 07:45:05 (CST)

Took no offense and surprised at the reactions you received!! I too am on the other end of the spectrum of pay but also do not hold it against those that have it or want to create the appearance that they have money. It just isn't my way but doesn't make my way the right way. Have quite a few thoughts and only a little time right now so will probably post random thoughts as they show up in my pea brain and I am able to transpose them to this site!!!

First thing, stall door latches that cannot be left sticking out to stab or make cuts on horses sides as they exit or enter a stall. People not used to regularly handling horses make this mistake all of the time!

Hangers, halter and lead rope hanger for each horse on each stall door or wall. In the event of emergency, this is critical to save time.

A sick bay/stall. Little larger, disinfected, wider door in the event the animal dies. (maybe a double hinged stall front so the whole front opens up)

Wash bay (with drains and heat lights for drying)

Shoeing/vet area (stocks could be optional although now that I have had a pair, wouldn't be without them again) Shoeing and vet exams as well as just routine clipping of manes is so much easier.

Fire extinguishers, plenty of them, more than you would ever think you would need.

Lights.

More later my friend.

Jonathan Shively says 2016-02-22 12:32:23 (CST)

Name plates on stall door.

I use mouse traps on my dividers for posting feeding or any other messages (take out the tongue and snap a recipe card under it). For your situation, a nice brass clip would work.

Have you ever been to the Budweiser barn in St. Louis? That was the most elaborate barn I have ever been in.

More later KM.

Jonathan Shively says 2016-02-23 08:59:56 (CST)

First aid kits in nicely designed cabinet, visible and accessible. Phone numbers of people to contact, etc inside the door of the cabinet.
Emergency plan, in the event of fire, where are the horses to be put?
Evacuation plans, what trailers will be used, where will horses be trucked?
24 hour camera system recording all entrances and time stamped.
Barn calendar for vet visits, farrier visits, special group/events, rent due, barn cleaning times, etc.
Automatic water shut off in the event a pipe freezes and bursts so the pump doesn't flood the barn.
Plenty of hangers for equipment so it isn't laying/stacked/falling in the way.

More later.

KM says 2016-02-24 10:36:19 (CST)

Thanks for the information on cannonball hardware. I have always heard that the round track was much better as it is self cleaning.

This has a full on office/vet room. On demand hot water heater with a fridge and large stainless sink.

Tack room 12x18 with more hooks and racks that I would ever fill and I am a tack junky.

3 stalls 2 are 12x12 and the third 12x16 with double stall door. It has a poly carbonate wall board similar to what dairy and food manufacturing facilities use on the walls. The sick stall had the points in the ceiling to allow pick points for lifting a horse.

Wash stall has the polycarbonate wall board and a trench drain at the back but slopes to the front corner. Easier to spray to a corner than out of the corner. Infrared heaters above the wash bay. Radiant floor heat throughout in the slab.

This is a barn I would live in in a heart beat. Thanks for the suggestions.

Andy H says 2016-02-27 06:12:15 (CST)

Does it have a bathroom and a small kitchen? That would be nice if you had to stay in the barn all night with a sick animal.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.