Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

With the weather being nice, 55 degrees, I celebrated President's Day in my own way. First I took the team for a 2 mile drive and then I disked about 1 1/2 acres with partly overlapping strips of land, a task that I couldn't complete in fall. As soon as weather allows I will plow that area, too. Walking eagerly the horses enjoyed the work and so did I.

K.C. Fox says 2016-02-16 01:49:50 (CST)

that sounds like you got started on your spring work. I drove 3 different teams that have not been dove for 1-2 years and not very well broke at that. We drug the road with a big tractor tire Did not even have one runaway every one was well lathered up and We will do it again tomorrow. The horses and mules will be better tomorrow. I know we could have a big bunch of winter left before spring but it sure feels like spring. All of you get ready for at least one more winter storm, if it don't come you all be happy.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-16 08:12:30 (CST)

Judging by the time of your response, K.C. Fox, I can only conclude that you either go to bed very, very late or you get up very , very early. Not a time for an old guy like me.
Anyway, it is nice to get going again, even though I am aware, like you say, that winter isn't over yet by any means. In fact, I am afraid it will drag out for a while despite the presently nice weather.
Three teams, that's quite a feat for one person and mules on top of that!

Kate V says 2016-02-16 15:03:00 (CST)

Sounds like it was a great way to spend the day! I bet it felt good. I bet you did a fair amount of smiling.

K.C. Fox says 2016-02-18 08:45:52 (CST)

I only sleep about 5-6 hours at A time, and when I wake up I can't go back to sleep. So I'm up at odd times Most of the time I go to sleep around midnight and wake up 5-6 in the morning I meant 1 team of mules and the rest were Horses. I have a man coming to look at broke teams so I want them all working there best. Last April I sold 13 broke mules hope to do good this year.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.