Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I got Bored over the weekend and decided to make my Amish friend Glenn a new hoof pick. I have built 6+ of these and they work very well and are comfortable. They are forged fired and shaped then tig welded and hardened then polished. Then I hot blue them using a kiln and torch. The pics don't due it justice this is one of the nicest and my personal favorite so far. Let me know your thoughts.

Billy Foster says 2016-02-09 06:19:54 (CST)

Very Nice

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

NoraWI says 2016-02-09 07:34:03 (CST)

Very nice, Michael. A work of art! And I assume the dots are there also to keep the pick from sliding out of the hand.

Michael Sills says 2016-02-09 13:44:42 (CST)

Yes those dots are for traction as well as looks they are stainless steel puddle welds. Basically I fire up the tig torch in that spot once the steel starts to melt u drop 2 drips of stainless rod into the puddle give it a little swirl to make them smooth and move on to the next one. The weld on the circle is also stainless rod. You could use anything really I just use stainless for the color contrast when the blueing operation is performed. I made one last time out of stainless steel with reg steel welds and steel dots so it had blue dots and weld with the main hook being a gold color once blued it was pretty nice too. I just didn't like it functionally because DUH stainless isn't magnetic so it wouldn't stick to my magnet inside my shoeing chaps. But it was a very pretty piece as well.

Kate V says 2016-02-09 15:02:49 (CST)

Very nice.

Michael Sills says 2016-02-16 19:15:00 (CST)

Finally got to give it to him today, he came to town to shoe and was only about 8 miles away. He was genuinely impressed and happy. By far one of the best gifts reactions I have ever gotten. He sure is a good guy, he invited my family out to his farm.

But he did say its to nice to use but it will be cherished and shown off. I insisted that its made for using and he couldn't hurt it but it hadn't made its first plunge into the hoof while I stood there and talked for an hour while he shoed....Maybe once the new wears off he'll give her a go.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.