Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

We have fed insane amounts of hay this year. Between a few weeks of subzero followed by wind (sometimes both ) and deep snow I am thankful for all the carry over hay from last year.
So far this winter I've fed as much hay as we did during all last winter. Granted, last year was extremely mild.
One bunch of cows are on a part of the place with no trees or brushlines for cover. I fed double ration of 22 3x3 bales to 200 head of cows thinking they'd have some left. Slicked every stick of it up

K.C. Fox says 2016-02-05 09:50:10 (CST)

and our weather has been more like last year. Not very many days of sub zero days some wind and snow but not alot. I have grazed on range most of the time I would feed when real cold then next two days warmed up and they left the hay and went back to the pasture. so I only fed in blowouts and places that needed the cover. I cake every 3 days.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-06 10:55:32 (CST)

I know that you use the team every day to feed, Wes. That means you are exposed to the low temperatures and the wind. Hats off to you!
My son took a road trip through Wyoming into western Montana during Xmas and he said not only was it brutally cold but the winds were howling all the time.

Dan in Illinois says 2016-02-06 20:31:43 (CST)

Our hay in central Illinois all got put up late so feed value is low.Feeding a liquid protien called mix 30. It has %30 protein and minerals. Dealer said would cut hay fed by a third. I told him that was hard to believe but I would try it. Hay consumption went way down now and price aint too bad $10 cwt. We are thankful for our mild winter.

Fort Causeway says 2016-02-06 20:55:26 (CST)

How are you feeding the 3 by 3's?
We've been looking at dirt all winter except a couple inches of snow in December. I decided to buy more hay than needed and feed heavy on the worst ground, and give lambs a little cover to rug into.
Going to try pasture lambing in March this year....

Wes Lupher says 2016-02-06 23:22:58 (CST)

Thank you Klaus.
I believe he describes it pretty well.

In the brutal cold the teams always start, it was touch and go with tractors.
I feel (as I'm sure you do) that if you dedicate yourself to working with horses and mules the rewards far outweigh the drawbacks.
I hooked at least one team over 320 days last year. It just soothes the soul and I don't feel right doing a job with a tractor that my horses and mules are capable of.

Wes Lupher says 2016-02-07 20:15:14 (CST)

We've been feeding some with a tractor and wagon and some with teams and sleighs Kevin.
Now all are being fed with teams and sleighs.
When I was haying I hauled a couple hundred ton down where we could plug in my old Farmhand to load sleighs.

K.C. Fox says 2016-02-07 21:56:27 (CST)

I think it is funny when the day is cold, wind blowing and snowing, then I think I will take the pickup to cake or tractor to feed hay. then I get stuck and have to work to get unstuck and back home. when I get back and look at the clock I would have been done as soon with the team and I still have to feed the team. It is going to take as long with a pickup or tractor most of the time to do the work. The other day took the pickup got stuck 3/4 of a mile from the house, had to walk back and get the tractor pull the pickup out cake the cows park the pickup at the house then walk back to the tractor to drive it home. the only thing I Gained that day was I walked over 1 1/2 miles in the cold wind and snow. Had to leave the tractor running because it would not start if it got cold.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.