Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

I know that the new layout has been here for awhile now, but I just cant get use to it.
It doesn't flow for me as good as before.
Please don't be offended, I'm not the best at change, and our live has had a lot of change in the past year.
Just curious if its just me being a stick in the mud.

Uncle Joe says 2016-02-03 08:19:24 (CST)

No offense taken, Bertie. It is not just you. Others have mentioned they prefer the old ordering of posts and have trouble getting used to the new one. A few have mentioned it many, many times, in fact. I have a list of changes to make when I can afford to have the site upgraded. The post ordering issue is one of those changes. I may spring for that change sooner, rather than later. Thanks for the input.

Joe

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2016-02-03 10:00:56 (CST)

Uncle Joe,

Put me in the category of leaving the post order the way it is now. Under the old system if there was a topic you were interested in you had to search down the page and open it to look and see if there were any new posts. With this system the newest stuff is on top and you can immediately see what topics have the latest posts in them.

For instance a month or so ago I was searching for some information on round bale unrollers, not on the Rural Heritage site but on the internet as a whole. One of the hits that came back was a very old thread on the old message board that KM had posted some pictures of the bale unroller that the gentleman who trained my team built. This was great except one thing, someone had made an inquiry in 2014 but because at that time that thread was 3-4 years old none of us saw it and did not answer the question they had. With the current system if someone comments on an old thread it is brought to the top and we all see it again.

Mike Rock says 2016-02-03 11:36:25 (CST)

Huggy huggy!! You just made my day...week...month .:))))

Joe is referring to me, for one at least, who complains about ordering of replies. As an engineer, I am used to a logical presentation of data.
Having/posing a question, then receiving answers, last first, does not let me see the progression of the arguments. Someone in the middle of a twenty question post might have provided significant input that changed the complexion of the argument, and by reading the way things are now, we are wondering 'what in hell is this all about', until we discover that post. Read normally, the logical progression would be clear and the final post would reflect those mid stream influences.

Hope the horses and livestock are well out in my home country (southwest SD) and the water will always flow. Twelve foot drifts......yep, Mother's Day 1966 around Rapid City....... woke up and the window was covered, thought the clock was wrong.

God bless..

Uncle Joe says 2016-02-03 15:54:13 (CST)

Gotcha Todd. But I think we are talking about two different things. I think you are referring the order of the threads and Mike and Bertie are talking about the order of the individual posts within a thread.

Joe

vince mautino says 2016-02-03 16:48:59 (CST)

Shoot, I 'm just glad it's here.Took a lot of getting use to though. I did like seeing all the post titles on one page though.
I guess if I could ask for one thing,it would be able to edit post. I usually hit " Submit Message " before I see a typo or?

Kate V says 2016-02-04 20:25:40 (CST)

As for the posts, and their order, I like that they are brought up to the top when a new post has been made.

As for individual posts within a thread, once I got the hang of it, I start with the initial post, then I go all the way to the bottom (of that particular thread) and then read "up" from there, in order to follow the conversation. I will admit, that took some getting used to.

My only "gripe" would be that I have to "click" to get to the site, "click" to log-in "click" to get back to the threads, "click" on response, then "click" etc.

But, really, I shouldn't complain because
#1- I'm not the moderator
#2- I don't have to pay for this
#3-It's easy to navigate

Thank you Uncle Joe, for providing this place for us, and doing the best you can with it. I appreciate the time and expense you've put into it.

Fort Causeway says 2016-02-04 21:19:44 (CST)

"i am a man, I can change"

"if i have to"

"but I'm not going to like it for a long time"

sincerely,
Kevin Schilthuis, Fort Causeway

Thanks Joe, for putting this all on, and making it all work out.....

Scott S says 2016-02-05 18:46:23 (CST)

Personally like the new sight. I like how you don't have to scroll through entire thread to see new additions to subjects. I really enjoy the information on this sight and will read in about any format. Think some will complain no matter what.

Cheri says 2016-02-06 15:48:50 (CST)

I do the same as Kate. Read the top post and scroll to the bottom. No different than a lengthy email thread. They are bottoms up. And I like that a new posts makes it appear at the top.
One thing I would like to see is the entire post of what I'm responding to. Sometimes my memory is a little short and I forget things.

K.C. Fox says 2016-02-06 22:18:13 (CST)

I don't care if I have a hard time getting the site to do what I want it to. I'm just Happy Joe has the knowledge to make it work and it does work. I damed sure don't have that Knowledge and would not want the head ache of keeping it running so that I can post my thoughts, and rants here for all of you to post your thoughts to. 20 years ago it would have been a lot harder for me to know you people without writing a letter to each and everyone of you. Today it is here almost before the postman would have picked up my letter, THANK YOU JOE

Uncle Joe says 2016-02-08 11:13:33 (CST)

Okay. The post order in a thread is top to bottom, oldest to newest. Sorry to those who preferred the new way to the old way.

I am still keeping a list of issues I would like fixed/modified/improved with the next update when I can afford it.

Joe

Jonathan Shively says 2016-02-23 09:03:46 (CST)

Uncle Joe, it is amazing how quickly I became used to scrolling down and reading from bottom to top!!!
It is more natural to read it this way (top to bottom) so thanks for the change.

It would be convenient (may be able to and not smart enough to) to be able to reread the post as you are answering it. The window that opens only has the box, not any of the post you are responding to. Just wondering.

Uncle Joe says 2016-02-23 10:53:04 (CST)

Hi Jonathan. I wish the entire thread was available, or at least the first page of it, to the user when they post a reply. Or, perhaps that each post in a thread had its own "post a reply button" rather than a single one at the bottom of the page. That way, you could have the post you are most interested in responding to be available for reference as you write the response.

It is on my Version 2.0 upgrade wish list. Probably be Autumn 2016 before I can spring for the computer work.

Joe

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-02-23 12:42:28 (CST)

Of course, one can get used to anything after a while, but I prefer chronological order starting with the first going to the last post.
Therefore, thank you , Joe, for the change back .

Uncle Joe says 2016-03-23 12:19:03 (CST)

Well, thanks for the input, Bret.

Of course, as I have already explained, the site was updated because the programming language the old site used had become obsolete and required constant updating and maintenance to keep it going. So we had to upgrade or shut it down.

The forum has always been moderated and the primary reason for that is to cull out blatant advertising and malicious or libelous posts.

The requirement for people to register and login before they can create posts is simply to protect the site from malware or other hacking and is a best-use practice among all sites.

Finally, the most common complaint about the site in the past was the difficulty in posting photos. So, when we upgraded, we made that a priority.

You are right that participation is down. The best way to fix that is to participate. Hopefully with helpful intent.

Thanks again for the input.

Joe

Sharon says 2016-03-23 18:20:48 (CST)

I feel bad for you Uncle Joe, after reading Bret's scathing message. I guess I am getting old, because change is harder for me to adjust to all the time, and personally, I did like the old format better. I couldn't post pictures to it, but I can't to this one either! I've tried a couple times and they never show up in my posts. Anyway, that's not the most important thing. The most important thing is that participation is down and has been steadily decreasing for some time. I hate to see this forum go by the wayside. There have been a lot of great discussions here. I wonder if Facebook has taken a lot of activity away from here. Anyone have any ideas to increase participation? Joe has spent a lot of time and money on this site, and we owe it to him to help keep it going and become a place again that people come to talk about their draft horses and ask questions of folks with more experience and knowledge.

K.C. Fox says 2016-03-23 21:28:06 (CST)

I still check in almost every day. I don't know what to do to get activity up from what it is now.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-03-25 09:12:04 (CST)

I am guilty of being a "lurker" I check the site/forum at least once per day.
In an effort to make this forum better, I will post subjects and be an active participant. I enjoy reading the posts. I feel like all of you are friends or perhaps even family. One thing for sure, we all share a common love of farms and draft power.

So first I apologize for watching and not doing. Second I ask for tolerance as I post what may be boring for some.

I come with opinion, experience and the wisdom that advancing age gives us.

This new site, for me, is different. Parts of it are much better than the old site, but I do miss a few things....not the order, but the visitors like J Waller and others who still have dial up internet.

Change is constant. I hate it, but there was a time when I drove welsh ponies and made the change to draft horses...that was a change I will never regret :o)

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.