Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

Hello, I have a friend who. Trims his draft horses feet with a cow foot trimmer. He trims them while the foot is on the ground. The trimmers have long handles and he trims around the out side of the foot. Is this some thing that can be done with no problems.? thank you for your input. Fred

llyford says 2016-01-21 11:36:41 (CST)

I use a grinder with wood blade

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

vince mautino says 2016-01-21 13:17:48 (CST)

I guess you can cut hoof off about anyway, but sooner later, you need to pickup that foot to check the angle, flatness/balance from side to side and the overall condition of the sole, frog, bars,etc.

frdzeller says 2016-01-21 13:52:41 (CST)

Hi again, that is just the kind of information I was looking for. I would like to know more about the grinder and wood blade. Do you use a side grinder ? Tell me about the wood blade.? Is the foot on the ground when you are working on it.? It is not getting through my thick skull. thanks again for the help. Fred

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-01-21 16:37:42 (CST)

Vince is absolutely right.
I guess I am a bit biased since my son is a professional farrier, but I have seen a lot of hooves which were misshapen because of untrained and uninformed amateur attempts. I am not saying one cannot learn it to a certain degree without formal training, but it takes more than to just trim around the outside.
Under certain conditions some horses wear down their hooves in a balanced way without even any need for human interaction but I have seen few draft horses, especially if they are being used for real work where this would be the case.

NoraWI says 2016-01-21 16:38:48 (CST)

A horse's foot is the most important part of its body. It is not the implement used to trim a hoof that's important. The key is knowing HOW to trim properly. Improper trimming can cause all kinds of problems. If you are hellbent on doing it yourself, take a course in farriering.

Dick Hutchinson says 2016-01-22 09:19:29 (CST)

These folks are absolutely right. If you use your horses for movable lawn ornaments it does matter about their feet, if you use them for work, the worst news in the world is a lame horse. I wouldn't bore folks with how I know this, but hiring a GOOD farrier is money well spent.

llyford says 2016-01-22 09:27:17 (CST)

in north Texas I can not find farrier to do my Clydesdales too many little quarter horse, I grind and shape hooves with metal grinder and Harbor Freight has wood blades for carving wood that work and do not cut too fast. Yes I trim on 2X4 wood slats with 2 inch gaps standing, My horses have done fine but only used lightly on concrete roads that seem to keep soles ground off enough. This is best I can do in this area. Know this is not the best but my boys do fine.

Scott S says 2016-01-23 14:48:14 (CST)

I have used these and still do. They work very well on old horses with arthritic joints and horses that won't let you pick up feet very well, much easier on back. You do need to be care full not to get to deep. I prefer to trim some, week or two later do more, don't try to do all at once if overgrown. It also really helps to trim, no matter your method, after rain or let stand in wet corral overnight to soften hooves, but we live in dry climate. Not the trimmer I use solely on every hoove but a tool that I do use.

vince mautino says 2016-01-23 17:38:56 (CST)

At the very least, there are a lot of books on line and at libraries that will give anyone the basics of trimming a horse's foot.

If a person has a acetylene torch they can make one of these.Just make it bigger for a bigger foot.
Scott. Nothing showed up in your post

vince mautino says 2016-01-23 21:19:09 (CST)

Llyford.Do you have P/N for that wood blade for a grinder from Harbor Frieght? I might have another use for it.

Scott S says 2016-01-24 20:23:58 (CST)

Sorry guess what I meant by, these, is the long handled cattle hoof trimmers. Sure a helpfull tool in some situations.

K.C. Fox says 2016-01-24 22:21:57 (CST)

I used to know an old man that used those long handled cow hoof trimmers to trim his horses' hooves. he said it was a poor way to trim but he couldn't pick up their feet any more. that way was better than not trimming their feet at all. Just not to use them really hard for a few days. I lay some down now because I can't hold their feet like I used to be able to most get better trained before too long one way or the other. I've only had a farrier here twice in 50+ years. I asked the last one how many horses and mules did he want to trim today just tell me and I wouldn't catch any more. He did 3 1/2 mules one jerked his foot away & kicked at him, I told him to leave his hind feet and not trim them as I didn't want him hurt. He quit then and hasn't been back since, I picked up that mule's hind feet the next day. He never kicked and I trimmed both hind feet while the leg lay on my knee I don't know what was wrong that day. I have trimmed and shod them standing and lying down tied, whatever it takes that day that I trim or shoe. I have used the cow trimmers on some really long toes but I don't like to. You do what you have to do. Tried a disk on an angle head grinder but the chips hit the horse on his belly and he jumped around more than If you just picked his feet up, so haven't used it since, it has slots in the disk you can sharpen it with a file. Just be careful with it because you could lose some skin if the hoof gets jerked away from you OK.

NoraWI says 2016-01-25 07:01:45 (CST)

My mouth fell open in disbelief at some of what I have been reading on this thread. I have 5 horses (one is a 13.2hh pony with "pony" attitude) and 5 donkeys ranging from standard through Mammoth. The farrier comes every 8 weeks throughout the warm weather and maybe as long as 12 weeks between visits in the depth of winter. It takes him 30 minutes to trim each one (about 3 hours total). Most are tied to a ring in the barn for this. The pony is cross-tied because she has bitten in the past. I hold another horse's lead rope because that is how I trained her to stand for the farrier years ago. The donkeys have been known to occasionally throw a half-hearted cow kick mostly without connecting. No one has to be tied up nor laid down for the experience. It's all in the training and in the farrier's projected calm and certainty in knowing what s/he is doing. My critters learned years ago that this is a routine they go through periodically. It will not hurt them. The farrier won't harm them. And their feet feel so much better afterward.

llyford says 2016-01-25 09:53:47 (CST)

Vince
harbor freight 4 1/2 inch 24 grit carbide cup wheel item number 66613

K.C. Fox says 2016-01-25 10:57:06 (CST)

I believe this disk came from Valley Vet Supply out of ST Joe MO it is about 4-4 1/2 " in diameter with slots 1-1 1/2 inches long you can see through it when running enough to see what you are cutting works good on cutting the corners off of a wooden square cut pole. And shaping other wood products. It can be sharpened with a chain saw file or a flat file, Hope this helps.

K.C. Fox says 2016-01-25 11:17:58 (CST)

the disk I talked about can be bought from valley vet supply #12101 26.95 + postage. Or you can call 1--800-843-3912 It is made by Roto clip Inc. 81 east 1850 north Logan UT. supposed to do 15+ animals before it needs sharpened. Hope this helps you.

vince mautino says 2016-01-25 21:49:11 (CST)

Thanks. llyford &KC Fox

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.