Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 8 years ago

8 years ago

rh comment count

Anyone every had any experience with their horses having a kertoma mass?
My Belgian has been having abcesses, so called the vet they took xrays said its a kertoma mass and needs to be removed.
Of course my first question was how in the world are you gona do that.
As it was explained to me, they will put shoes on him (he's barefoot now) then proceed to remove 4-5 inches of his hoof for the band to the ground and remove the mass. Kind of like removing a fingernail. I've removed a fingernail before not meaning to, and I didn't like it at ALL, & my hand doesn't hold up my body weight.
So I'm not sure Im liking their plans, and another person told me that it rarely is all gotten, so it will come back. So Im not really wanting to put my boy & me though the pain and suffering and the $$ if its not going to be successful.
Need some words of wisdom here, please.

vince mautino says 2016-01-06 14:44:59 (CST)

What happen if you do nothing? That will answer the question as to do it or not.

The other thing is it going to be a $3000 procedure on a $1000 horse?

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Andy Daniel says 2016-01-07 05:33:35 (CST)

I have to agree with Vince.

NoraWI says 2016-01-07 06:11:49 (CST)

I googled "equine keratoma" and found the procedure recommended to you. In addition, I also found this:

"The other surgical technique uses a Galt trephine hole or small burr to remove a focal area of hoof wall. This technique is preferred because it dramatically shortens the recovery period and is minimally disruptive to the stability of the hoof capsule. Three small steel pellets can be taped to the hoof in a triangular pattern before radiography to determine optimal placement of the trephine hole to access the lesion. A Galt trephine with a retractable pilot bit can be used to access the keratoma, and a second trephine hole can be made near the white line at the bottom of the foot to ensure all abnormal tissue has been removed and to ventrally drain the surgical site. Once the trephine hole in the hoof wall has cornified, that defect can be filled with antibiotic-impregnated polymethyl methacrylate, which should allow the horse to return to performance sooner than would waiting for the hoof defect to grow out.

Once regrowth of the hoof wall is complete, the prognosis for resolution of lameness and return to previous performance is excellent. Recurrence is uncommon unless there was incomplete removal of all abnormal tissue. In one study, six of seven horses with keratomas returned to their intended use[6]."

In any case, I would certainly get second opinions and success and cost estimates from a vet who has done these procedures before. I wish you the best outcome, whatever you decide to do.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.