Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Neighbor had a friend over recently and I was visiting with the two of them. Friend talked about beardless wheat as great horse feed. He was talking of the wheat hay and not the grain. I looked up beardless wheat on the usda site and another forum or two. Seems like any hay, it depends on how and when harvested as to protein and palatability. Anybody with any experience growing wheat hay and feeding it to horses? Any problems with feeding it to horses? Thanks for your responses. kelly

G.D.Rose says 2015-12-13 09:51:05 (CST)

I fed wheat hay for two winters one time, we were in a dry time and the winter wheat was not going to yield enough to combine so we hayed it. I put it up in large round bales about 1200 pounds each, had no problems with the first or second year with this hay. Fed to my cows and horses both, but I ran it through a hay buster bale processor, not because it was wheat hay that was just how I fed all my hay. Hope this help you some.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

T.Nichols says 2015-12-14 19:58:25 (CST)

I have fed tons of wheat hay to horses and mules. If put up in the dough stage it is great hay. The beardless is the safest but I have fed a lot of bearded wheat also. You can have problems with that if it was baled when the beards are matured, sticking in their gums and getting infected but I have fed a lot of it and have been lucky and not had any trouble like that so far.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.