Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

One of my team is a 5 year old gelding, and VERY playful. He is an excellent and reliable worker, but likes to fiddle and play anytime he gets a chance (especially when standing and waiting at all). The biggest issue I deal with in harness is that he loves to turn his head to the inside, frequently getting tangled in the lines. I have to watch him constantly, and it is a bit annoying to continually have to correct him. It only seems to disturb his teammate if he actually does manage to tangle in the lines, because then he winds up pulling on his teammate's bit as he turns his head away. He uses side-check reigns that seemed to be adjusted properly in that it prevents him from dropping his head too low to get caught on a snap or something. However, he has free side-to-side motion to do as he pleases. How can I solve this issue? Is there something I can safely tie on the outside of him to prevent this turning to the inside? Thanks in advance!

KM says 2015-12-10 12:48:02 (CST)

Put a jockey stick on him.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2015-12-10 14:40:47 (CST)

Before I scrolled down my first impulse was " jockey stick" just to see that KM had suggested that already.
Another solution would be to tie a lead rope to the outside ring of the halter underneath the bridle and tie it back to the outside breeching ring. I wouldn't tie anything to the outside ring of the bit, as that just would make him hard-mouthed.
But of course nothing can replace the watchful eye of the teamster.
Put duct tape over any snaps or buckles he could catch on with his bit to avoid accidents.

kellyintx says 2015-12-10 17:09:00 (CST)

I agree with KM. FYI, a jockey stick hooks from the halter (under the chin) to the other horse's lower hame ring. Kelly

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.