Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

Hey Jerry I remember reading a few months ago that you were trying out some red florini? Corn? Just wondering how it produced and what uses you have found it best suited for. Have you fed any to livestock or just for your use? Also did you have it tested for protein,etc.... thanks for any information

JerryHicks says 2015-12-02 06:52:59 (CST)

Ah, the Floriani red! That's an interesting story! It grew well, made good stalks and good ears. Then, about the first of July, just as the corn was tassling, we had a flash flood. I went down to the creek bottom to look at the corn, and the entire bottom was under four feet of water. I couldn't even see the corn. I figured it was all washed out. But, in a little while, the water went down and I could see all the corn lying flat along with a lot of logs and trash. I figured it would die. About three days later I decided to take the mules and a sled down there to gather up the logs and limbs to clear the field, and to my surprise, all the corn was standing back up, except for a few stalks that were pinned down by the logs. So, I skidded the logs out the rows as best I could and cleaned up a little. The corn made an average of two ears to the stalk, a few had three and no more than four or five stalks in a quarter acre had one. They were good long ears. So, come harvest time, I went down to cut and shock the corn, but there was no kernels on the cobs. It was only cobs and shucks. Now, I don't know, but I'm thinking the flood water may have washed the pollen off and the corn was never pollinated. That's my theory. Someone else my have another explanation. I turned the mules in on it and they eat the stalks into the ground, so I'm assuming that means it makes good fodder. I plan to try it again next year but on higher ground. Of course, with my luck it may be time for a drought year and I'll wish it was back on the creek bottom, but I believe it might just be easier to pump water to the field to irrigate than to pump water off the field when it's flooded!

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2015-12-03 12:46:41 (CST)

just plant some In both places hope it turns out better for you. This is a great next year country. At the least you tried, you cant have a failure unless you do something.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.