Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I took some friends to the horse auction in Jamesport today. We stayed for about 5 hours. There was only one team of draft horses, a team of 7 and 8 year old black Percheron geldings, about 18 hh, and they sold for $ 3500 per head. I had kind of expected that. But I was totally surprised when buggy horses, almost all of them Standardbreds, were sold: Everyone I saw during that time frame sold for over $ 1500 , a lot of them way over $ 2500 , and a few over $ 4000. The highest one that I saw was around $ 7000. The buyers were overwhelmingly Amish!!
On the quaint side, very often a horse was recommended as one that " the wife can drive", some were announced as " not for the wife".

NoraWI says 2015-10-22 07:58:37 (CST)

I find that the Amish (around here at least) have a lot of resources and don't hesitate to spend their money for what they want or feel they need. I no longer go to auctions because of that, having been outbid time and time again. Standardbreds are the breed of choice for their buggies here. They used to get them right off the track, a great many of them trotters. And Belgians are their first choice here for field work. I do know a young man who has trained and uses Percheron mules. He came to my farm to cut some Black Locust for fence posts and his 4-up hitch of matched young mules was spectacular! However, I have heard that some Amish communities look at mules as unnatural and shun them.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2015-10-22 09:46:50 (CST)

Nora, when I was in Lancaster County, PA years ago I saw a lot of Belgian mules working on Amish fields. The preference seems to vary from region to region. In Jamesport I only know of a few Amish farmers using mules.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.