Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 8 years ago

8 years ago

rh comment count

Where do most of you all get harness from? A decent farm/parade harness. I know auctions farm sells etc. But I'm sure there a places on the net that sell new and used harness too.

Sharon says 2015-10-20 08:08:02 (CST)

I build harness and saddlery for a living. Big Sioux Saddlery. . . there's a website and I'm on FB also. Just google Big Sioux Saddlery. Of course every Amish community has a harness shop, the work of which varies from decent and cheap to very poor and cheap. I don't try to compete on price with them because there's no way for one of "us" to operate and live as cheaply as an Amish shop. But you will get superior quality and exactly what you want here, if you are willing to spend the bucks. Contact me through FB if you want more information. I have very little used on hand right now.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Kate V says 2015-10-20 14:00:01 (CST)

Good suggestions from Bret and Sharon.

Where I used to work, they had bought their harnesses from Schmucker's in Pa.

Every now and then I'd take them to an Amish shop in Dayton Va, for a hot-oil dip. It was worth the drive.

Michael Sills says 2015-10-20 19:31:23 (CST)

We do have a couple Amish communities around here (Yoder and Owasso). One guy even travels here and does the shoeing on my drafts, don't know why I never thought to ask him. Were usually pretty chatty checking out each others new (old) stuff so how this never came up is beyond me.

Bertie says 2015-10-21 06:15:55 (CST)

Not sure where your located. Alot of times a Amish Harness maker will have a booth at Draft auctions.
My sister has bought from Walter at Orchard Hill Harness in Mt. Pleasant Mills, PA
He does mail order & you have to call, no online.
His # 570-539-2718.

stitchnhitch says 2015-10-22 10:55:06 (CST)

Stitch N Hitch Harness.
www.stitchnhitch.com

Jon Bonine says 2015-10-27 21:30:47 (CST)

Bonhoefer Harness Shop in Yoder has a pretty good selection of harness. If he doesn't have it, he can make it. He's just north of Yoder about 3 or 4 miles, then back to the east. I think there are some signs on the way. He's been at Equifest in the past and at the Yoder's auctions (when they have a sale).

Robert Sutton says 2015-10-27 22:10:56 (CST)

Bontreager harness shop at Yoder has new and used harness. Peterbuilt harness down by Oswego/Chetopa area makes good harness. I've bought leather and bio from both places and was happy with both shop's work.
KDHMA is having a playday by Augusta November 14. Bring your team and come over.

Michael Sills says 2015-10-28 16:58:44 (CST)

Robert where is the play day and yes I plan on going to the one out by Owasso that's where my Amish farrier (Glenn) is from I think I'm going to road trip down there Monday and check out there place and pick up some horses. Your not the Robert Sutton that used to live in Augusta by chance are ya. My uncle Darold was best friends with a Robert Sutton for a long time. Also this play day what will be going on and what do I need to bring aside from horses and harness.

Robert Sutton says 2015-10-30 19:37:23 (CST)

Glenn is a good friend of mine. Shoes my horses also. Would your uncle Darold go by the name Woody? Did you live south and west of Douglass? The playday is at the Cowboy church east of Augusta on 100th st (old highway) Just bring your horses. The church has a concession stand so you can buy your lunch. If you want you can call me at 316-640-2722.

Mike in MI says 2015-10-31 17:37:14 (CST)

What state are Yoder and Owasso in?

Michael Sills says 2015-10-31 21:01:57 (CST)

yes woody is one of the names we call him. and yes that's my parents house im on that same road where I live now too. What are the odds huh. how have u been.

Michael Sills says 2015-11-01 15:59:35 (CST)

Mike Yoder and Owasso are in Kansas.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.