Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Nice week to take the team out for a drive. We only went about 6 miles but that was enough for hear all my passengers complain about not having padded seats in the back of the passenger wagon.

The other pic you'll notice my son has one line in each hand. He likes to try and run the show everything I say my little parrot repeats. Can't beat good help huh.

And the last pic is the Wife sitting on Millie. She is pretty determined Millie is going to be her new trail riding horse as well. As you can see she doesn't seem to mind. I have saddled her quite a few times and walked her with my wife on her but I haven't tried giving her the reins yet. Which leads to my next question. Do you still plow rein them so not to confuse them or do you go ahead and teach them to neck rein as well.

NoraWI says 2015-10-13 06:44:24 (CST)

Nice pics! Nice family! I think there are horses that can do both plow rein as well as neck rein when ridden. Personally, I never neck reined my driving horse when riding to avoid confusion. I was always afraid that if the lines for some reason touched the horse on the side of the neck while being driven, it would think that a signal. Nothing wrong with plow reining a riding horse.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Jonathan Shively says 2015-10-13 14:01:00 (CST)

Micheal, I grew up riding ponies my dad, brother and I raced as trotters. We would use a curb bit on the riding bridle and cross the reins under their neck to your hands. They get both sensations (I use still on all my young saddle horses) when you want to go left they feel the rein on their neck and get a pull from the left side of the bit. It always worked for us, they aren't "power steering" but the more you use them, the better they'll get. Never seemed to have one get confused after neck reining and then going back in harness.

Michael Sills says 2015-10-13 21:54:18 (CST)

That's great advice I have broke and trained many saddle horses for people and never even thought to try this. I can see where I wouldn't start them like that on day one cause it sure it nice to power them around or jerk there head up in a moment of despair but it would seem to be a useful idea especially on a broke to drive team to connect the dots.

Allan says 2015-10-14 09:40:21 (CST)

I have rode and drove all my horses. I trained them under saddle and taught them to neck rein, and when finished they were in a curb bit and western headstall. When started to drive they were in a snaffle bit and stayed in a snaffle. Had an appaloosa that was western pleasure in the morning and went English including jumping in the afternoon and you would have thought it was two different horses. He would go on to his driving class and would take ribbons in all classes. Best horse I ever had for 26 yrs. Gone now. If you keep them in the proper bits and saddles they learn to handle it all and I never had any confusion from the animals as to what they were supposed to do. Allan

Jonathan Shively says 2015-10-14 13:54:59 (CST)

Allan on a little different note, I rode western pleasure in a curb bit and headstall then pole bended and barrel raced and other gymkhana events on the same horse with a mechanical hackamore. Like you said, was like two different horses and I think she appreciated knowing my expectations. That mare also was my mom's favorite to ride and if I put a bit in her mouth mom would need a switch to keep her moving. One day put the hack on her, she walked right off with mom and that is how mom rode her from then on. With me, a bit she would drop her head and work smooth and slow. The hack on I had all the horse I could handle, that little mare was a bundle of nerve endings ready to do battle!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.