Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 8 years ago

8 years ago

rh comment count

We need to get a little more action on these boards, on this new site.

Uncle Joe, is there any way you could make a posting, new subject, on the old site that could, once again, direct people to this new site?

Its too quiet here.

Maybe folks are reluctant/afraid to try something new? Maybe they haven't got this new one firgured out?

NoraWI says 2015-09-27 04:13:49 (CST)

Exactly, Kate! I have responded several times but do have trouble navigating the site. Didn't want to complain because new sites do take a while to get used to. A message and a link on the old site would certainly be in order.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Uncle Joe says 2015-09-27 05:21:59 (CST)

It was my understanding that the old front porch site should just redirect people to the new one. If that is not happening, there is something wrong with the redirect code. The old front porch threads and posts should be available for searching under the "search the archives" request, but the old front porch itself should just be replaced with the new one.

I am in Massachusetts today, heading back from the Draft Animal Power Field Days at Cummington, but will check on this more when I am home tomorrow.
In the meantime, I am writing my web developer to see if she can do exactly what you are asking, to put a post on the old front porch and tell people to come here instead. Thanks for the suggestion.
Joe

JimA says 2015-09-27 09:09:04 (CST)

Is anyone else having trouble seeing sale barn?

Koty says 2015-09-27 11:50:42 (CST)

I think it just takes some people longer than others to switch to a new format and to get comfortable with it.

I agree that having to log in every day is a pain.

Uncle Joe says 2015-09-27 12:11:33 (CST)

You do not need to log in to browse. Just to post.

Most browsers will let you save login credentials.

The login process protects the site from malicious hacks.

Joe

Klaus Karbaumer says 2015-09-27 13:57:07 (CST)

Yes, JimA, I also can't get to the sale barn. There always is a picture in the way. When I click on it the whole thing goes away.

Kate V says 2015-09-27 20:02:01 (CST)

Uncle Joe, when I click on the the link, in my favorites (which is what I use) it takes me directly to the old site. In order for me to get to this new site, I click on a new link that I have "placed" in my favorites list.

As for the log-in deal, I understand the need for it, protection from hacking. It is a minor nuisence to re-log in, but at this point I'm used to it and its part of my routine when I come here.

I hope Massachusettes was a good time.

Uncle Joe says 2015-09-27 20:43:56 (CST)

The problem with the photo and other elements appearing over the main part of the page on pages like teams for sale seems to be with some recent versions of Firefox. We are working on it. In the meantime if you use chrome, it will work better.

Michael Sills says 2015-09-28 18:10:10 (CST)

i know i have posted a couple thinking for sure i could spark up conversation and i didnt even get a reply! Like a said the new crowd is a tough crowd!

Todd NE WY says 2015-09-28 21:58:19 (CST)

Kate I think you need to go in a clear your Cache. That should let the original favorite take you to the new site. Sometimes the computer remembers where it went and doesn't read the web address it just continues to go where it went before.

W. Pat Mc says 2015-09-29 15:01:39 (CST)

I will get use to it at my age it just takes a little longer. LOL I do not like the sale barn as it does not give the information the old page gave i.e. breed, height, weight etc. at a glance.

Uncle Joe says 2015-09-29 21:20:21 (CST)

W. Pat Mc, I will add that to my list of changes to have made in the future. Thanks.

Joe

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.