Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

6 years ago I inherited a team of mares from my grandfather. It was a mother daughter team of Lady Bug and Rose. Lady Bug was bred again and again over the years. As a 5 year old she got kicked on the knee and it never fully recovered. We gave her cortisone shots and bute to help her along. As she aged the knee became more and more arthritic and she began to limp on it. Over time the good knee became equally bad and we knew time was creeping up on her. This spring she gave me likely her best foal yet. A little colt. I knew that this was her last foal. Over the summer her knees got worse and Saturday she told us that it was time. Duke was weaned and was only using his mom as a companion. We weaned him early to try and keep weight on Bug. Over her 14 years Bug gave us 4 fillies and 5 colts. I have 3 of those fillies now all bred for spring foals. She was a great work mare but a fabulous broody.

Bug had the distinct black blotch on the end of her nose. I have attached pictures of her as a foal, with her first and last foals, and her at 12. RIP Bug you were one in a lifetime.

Todd NE WY says 2015-09-16 21:03:15 (CST)

KM,

Sorry to hear that. Its never easy to lose one. I thought as i got older maybe I could handle it better but so far its not any easier. Its great that she left you with 1 heck of a legacy and a great colt. Your shire breeding is something most of us just dream of and I for 1 really enjoy your sharing with us.

Todd

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

KM says 2015-09-17 08:08:32 (CST)

Thanks Todd. I've been lucky to inherit my start from my grandfather. He had done the hard part of putting together a string of good mares. He passed away one cross short. This may hurt the feelings of some front porchers, but the key to breeding is in the mother. Sire matters but to a lesser degree than the dam. Livestock to humans the key to good offspring is in the mother.

Kate V says 2015-09-17 15:13:50 (CST)

Oh KM, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a shame. I am glad to hear that you have gotten some nice foals out of her. Her lines and legacy will live on right along with what your Grandfather helped you start.

NoraWI says 2015-09-19 07:46:29 (CST)

Sorry about that! No, it never gets easier. And, yes, conformation may come from both dam and sire. However, the dam is the one who raises the foal and forms its personality. And, once the body structure (conformation) is set, personality is what makes a horse great.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.