Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Hi all, and hope you’re having a good winter so far Without too many challenges. I have a couple of questions for you, I’m hoping you more experienced folks can help me with.

I am pretty confident my collar and harness fits well, And even got some verification from the folks at horse progress days while the horses were working. All seemed to be in good shape. For most of the year, I don’t have any issue. However, once our winter carriage and wagon season begins, each year I have two spots on my horses that wind up irritated and can’t figure out why or how to prevent it.

First, the breeching rubs the hair down to the skin. I have been controlling it by applying duct tape to that area once it starts—a bandaid cover of sorts to stop the friction. Obviously this is just an extra step I’d rather not take. My theory is that we have a lot of hills in our area, and even with the help of my hydraulic brakes, the horses still wind up having a lot of loaded pressure on the rumps during the downhill over the course of the season. We did roughly 500 miles from late September to New Year’s. I make small adjustments to the hip straps over the course of the season, just to try to spread out where the pressure is, but if I go up much higher, the rubs are worse due to the point of rump, and if I go lower, there can be too much pressure applied to the back of the leg. So I work within that safe breeching zone. Have any of you had this problem and how did you fix it? Would a pad work? It seems like that would be too bulky.

Second, and more concerning is my collars. Again, the rest of the year we have no issues. My collars are custom ordered to fit the individual horse, and most use pads as well. This year I had a heavier horse with no pad, and a lighter horse with a pad. They both developed the issue Of a tender area right at the top of the neck under the collar, starting about 2/3 through our season (roughly 400 miles in). There doesn’t seem to be any movement of the collar, so I am fairly confident on the fit itself. There were no signs of any sores, and in fact, the hair did not even rub off or break much as I’ve had happen on horses in the past. However, whenever the tongue would apply pressure during the downhill, I noticed the horses would start shaking their heads and acting up a little bit. It was like they were trying to shift the collar up and down. After the event, when I touched that area, you could tell it was tender. I applied liniment religiously after each event, and they seemed to be fine by the next day, with no obvious tenderness. But before the next event was over, they would be tossing their heads again, and the Process would repeat. Again, I had the exact same scenario with the horse that had no pad as with the horse that had a pad. I begin making minor adjustments to the Hame buckles, in an attempt to change where the pressure was applied, but this didn’t seem to help. I am clueless as to how to fix it, but would like to prevent it for next season. Any experience or thoughts as to how to fix this problem?

I am attaching a profile photo For reference of how harness is adjusted on the bigger horse with no collar pad.

Mike Rock says 2020-01-24 11:29:22 (CST)

Do you think you can turn the photo over? I've heard of using glue on shoes but I thought it was to keep the shoe on the horse, not the horse glued to the driveway.....pretty slick!

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Chad says 2020-01-24 21:20:08 (CST)

I'm not an expert by no means but trial and error has always worked for us. Raise the front of your britchen up a little higher so when it pulls tight it is flat against their legs. Your tounge looks to be a little long, could it be swaying back and forth as the horses walk? Use a choke strap on the bottom of your collar. It looks like the tounge is pulling the bottom of it away from their shoulders. That may cause some soreness. Try to raise the end of your pole up a little so as your going down hill, it's pushing straight. Looks like it may be a little low. You have a great looking team. I hope the carriage business is going strong. We just renewed our insurance for the year, another $400 increase. It's getting redicolous.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2020-01-25 20:08:08 (CST)

For your breeching, you could try using lambs hide with the wool on it. Wool side against the horses. Some harness shops sell this.
Tongue adjustment may help your collar issue, but I suspect there is a gap on top of their necks where the collar sits. It may only be there when they are pulling or braking. If you are sure of the collar fit, then the same material lambskin can be buckled into the top of the collar, just be sure of the fit so as not to choke when pulling.
I hope this helps.

Dan in Illinois says 2020-01-25 20:12:26 (CST)

You might try adjusting your pole strap. If it’s too long it allows bottom of collar to push forward putting top of collar at angle and that puts weight of tongue on smaller surface area.

Redgate says 2020-01-26 16:17:40 (CST)

Sorry, Mike, I don’t know why the photo shows that way. It’s upright on my Pc, but upside down on this page, but if I click on it, it is upright again. Maybe it’s an RH thing?

Ralph, I was leaning toward the fleece liner myself on the breeching.

As far as the pole, our horses are an between size. The pole is, indeed, too long for them, but if we bring it back to the shorter setting, it puts their hocks too close to the double trees for my comfort. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that a properly adjusted breast/collar strap has a 90* angle from where the strap coming forward between the legs meets the collar/snap/yoke strap. This photo shows an almost perfect 90* angle and it shows an almost perfect line from hame down to snap/yoke. I know there is no space between collar and neck most of the time, but it is possible the weight of the vehicle is causing the collar to tilt forward just enough to cause a gap. It would have to be subtle, as the hair doesn’t even rub or break off. It is definitely linked to the downhills though. I am puzzled and willing to try about anything. I guess our best option would be to try to bring the pole back to a shorter setting, and see if it has an effect.

vince mautino says 2020-01-29 15:23:34 (CST)

Adjust your britching so it angles up a bit in front.Then put a harness pad on the britching.These are foam filled,fleece covered . Shops that sell harness have them and they are commonly used across the back ,but will fit on britching.You might still get some hair wear, but no sores. I use them on my riding saddle britching the same way and put a lot of miles in the mountains in steep terrain

Scott S says 2020-01-29 20:36:58 (CST)

You can add length to your heal chains easy if you don't want to shorten your pole.

Neal in Iowa says 2020-01-30 15:12:43 (CST)

Danielle,

I think that Vince might be on to something with the breeching. The harness looks to be biothane and it is not laying flat on the horse, the top is closer than the bottom. A hip breeching alteration might prevent the hair rubbing entirely.

Neal in Iowa

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.