Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

4 years ago

rh comment count

I'm still hauling hay only have 30 more loads to haul for this guy. I have hauled 10 so far I'm averaging 1 load per day 34 bales each load. I hope everyone has enough hay to feed your animals. I had a horse get down on the ice and he died after we got him off the ice and home. He was a 13 year old gelding a nice horse any one could ride.

Mike Rock says 2020-01-18 22:32:22 (CST)

KC, so sorry to hear about your horse. They become family after a bit and losing one is a minor tragedy.

Stay safe on the roads. Did you get all the ice along with the snow in this last storm?

God bless
Mike

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

NoraWI says 2020-01-19 06:58:32 (CST)

So sorry about your horse! I had an Appy mare who many years ago kept falling on the ice. I used to put a cinch around her middle and haul her out with a log chain and the pickup. She would scramble up as soon as she was off the ice and could get a footing.This must have happened 3 or 4 times. She was well in her 30s at the time and finally died at 38. So sad when they go at your horse's young age!

Koty says 2020-01-19 13:11:13 (CST)

I'm sorry for your loss of your horse. At least you got him home to die in familiar surroundings. Here in Northwestern Wisconsin, horses that go down on ice in the night are usually a target for the wolf packs. Not a pleasant way for a horse to die.

K.C. Fox says 2020-01-21 08:18:08 (CST)

Yes we got some ice before the snow so everything is real slick. any place that you go it turns to ice. I had to start haying my cows because everything is covered with snow and ice. the cows are 2.5 miles away from the buildings. there is enough bales of hay over there for 45 days then I will bring them home for calving. I'm surprised the wolves or coyotes did not get to the horse before we got him home. Some people have seen 3 wolves around here I have saw there tracks in the snow.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2020-01-25 20:09:30 (CST)

Stay safe K.C. we haven't had much ice this winter, but boy do we ever have mud.

Mike Rock says 2020-01-26 19:01:49 (CST)

KC,
Did the wolves come down from the Black Hills or from the west? I was born down SE of the Hills. We had bobcats moving in during the early sixties and the mountain lions in the 90's. Wolves is another matter! When mom was little in the 1920's they had what she called brush wolves up in ND, don't know if that's a timber wolf or something else. She had a horse that would kick the snot out of whatever they were. Three kids going a couple miles on one broken down old draft horse. Had a photo of that but lost it in the Rapid City flood. That horse lived into it's 30's.
God bless

K.C. Fox says 2020-01-28 06:43:01 (CST)

I don't know where they came from. the first lion that I saw was in the spring of 1966. I tried to rope him but my horse was smarter and he got away. We lost 3 cows to that lion. The first wolves my dad saw one out of the bedroom window on a full moon night with snow on the ground we looked at the tracks the next morning that was in 1986. we see them some times there are 3 running together. Toby and Courtney saw them 2 miles from the house 3 years ago and 1 month ago..

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.