Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

4 years ago

rh comment count

We've been doing carriage rides every weekend in November and December for the holidays. Last weekend my team started spreading apart as they were pulling. It got to the point where the traces rubbed the hair off of their legs and the snaps on the breast straps were bent. I've used the same harness, collars and lines the whole season. I tightened the inside check lines, hooked them closer to the carriage and checked them for sores or knots on their shoulders. Nothing seems to help. I generally drive with a fairly loose line as this team has soft mouths. When I try to tighten the lines to pull them together, they just turn their heads towards each other and still lean away from the tounge. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Redgate says 2019-12-25 19:43:09 (CST)

It sounds like you already did, but I would always check the harness first. I have seen most of my "movement" issues arise from collar pressure right on the top of the neck--often due to the horse's weight/shape changing over the course of a long, hard season and the collar needing a better adjustment. There may be no visible sore, but the area seems to get a bit tender to touch over the course of the season. If this is the cause, you will find the horse tends to do all sorts of things to relieve pressure on that one spot--head shaking, increased neck movement, moving side-to-side, etc.

Second, check that your evener is the same length as your yoke, or that can encourage them apart.

Third, check your line adjustment to be sure it isn't pulling their heads toward the inside. It can be subtle, but can cause this to happen over the length of a carriage season.

If all those check out, try simply switching the side the horses are on. Every now and then, I have one who starts to pull outward. It seems to be caused first by an attempt to look at/play with her partner when bored (not allowed, of course), and then it almost seems to become a matter of her finding some type of security in feeling the trace on her thigh. As soon as I switch them to the other side, the problem goes away. Nowadays, I just try to regularly switch sides to prevent the problem altogether. It seems to work well for me.

Hope that helps!

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Scott S says 2020-01-29 20:23:34 (CST)

Did you figure out anything with your horse spreading out.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.