Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Reading Ralph Rice's article of using a front end loader tire for a water tank in the latest issue of RH magazine, reminded me of the uses I have around here for them.

Several years ago I acquired a few to break a team of mules using Jack Stroud's ( now deceased) method in his video. I put quite a few miles on that team driving them puling two loader tires. That team is now 13 and 14 years a old and went down the road quite some time ago.

The tires set around here for a few years and I finally got an idea to use them in my garden. I cut one side wall out using the same method that Ralph did and laid a layer of 1/2 " hardware cloth ( we use to call it rat wire) on the bottom to keep gophers out and then filled each tire with good top soil .

One is my asparagus bed that I put 6 crowns in and it keeps me and the wife in plenty of shoots each spring. Come fall I pile several feet of pine needs around the tire and on top for mulch.

Another I use as a raised bed for radishes and lettuce. It keeps these old knees from having to bend as much. We have a lot of hail here so I put in a few stakes about 2 ft tall and lay 1/2 " hardware cloth over them to protect against it.

The other is my herb planter. This year I raised sage in it that I started from seeds. I eat a lot of wild game, elk and such, and I like to season it with ground sage, Greek seasoning and Seasoned salt. I grew enough for a two year supply. I dried it in a a dehydrator and the ground it with one of those small coffee bean grinders that we had ( I had to buy a new one as my wife said she didn't favor sage flavored coffee). I filled three 1/2 pint jelly glasses with it and putt two on the freezer to keep.

Comment on Ralph's water tank. How did he remove the oily coating inside the tire? I know my mules would not drink that. I have a 150 and a 300f gallon tank that I use, Every filling, I put about two table spoons of bleach in the small one and an 1/8 cup in the larger one that keeps the algae from growing. I have been doing that for over 30 years and it doesn't bother the mules. I don't know if the black tires will keep the water form freezing in the winter, but think it would keep that water too warm in the summer here in Colorado.

NoraWI says 2019-10-04 15:02:45 (CST)

In the winter I give the horses access to the barn with a heated water tank. On really cold nights the horses would back close to the warm water and poop into it. I use the old tires to create extra space around the tank. Now they can get to the water to drink but their poop drops short of it. I hold the tires in place with one of those heavy duty tie-down straps.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2019-10-13 10:23:22 (CST)

I have two loader tires that I use for water tanks they work OK. they last a lot longer than the metal ones ESP around the barns. out in the pastures we use bottomless 18'--30' tanks cover the bottom with plastic then 3" of dirt and Bent nite, we dig them in the ground 1' first they hold a lot of water. But when the wind don't blow for 3 days the livestock still have water.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2019-10-27 13:47:59 (CST)

Hello Everyone,
Vince, I used some Dawn dishwashing liquid a scrub brush and a bit of effort to scrub the inside of the tire. I did it because after cutting the sidewall, I had the liquid inside the tire anyway. As I rinsed it out, I noticed the "yuk" coming with it. I just simply gave it a good scrubbing for good measure.
My animals drink the water down pretty fast, so algae hasn't been a problem. I guess I would try a little bleach or even perhaps lime to see what would work the best to prevent it...in moderation of course.
I like your idea of the raised beds...anything to save old backs and knees is a wonderful thing!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.