Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

4 years ago

rh comment count

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having with my IHC #9 Regular Gear mower. When mowing tall heavy grass it works great, but in light or fine stemmed grass the hay gets jammed in the hole at the end of the bar (the base of the grassboard). This causes the mower to plug and I have to continually get off the mower and unplug it. It is especially bad in this fine-stemmed Teff grass that is pictured. Sometimes the hay gets packed in so tight the sickle starts pounding and pulls hard. I have attached photos showing the hole open and plugged. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this?

K.C. Fox says 2019-09-22 22:25:49 (CST)

some use the sickel section that looks like a double section and it works. I use the double guards the throw away guards and do away with the end shoe then I make a grass board attachment that fastens on the last two bolts on the bar. If you use a grass board ok. A lot of the time I don't use a grass board you can get away with it if the hay is not real heavy. I use this on tractor mowers and horse drawn mowers as we use both. we mow with #9, #7 and a John Deere big 4 horse mowers also the tractor drawn KOCH double mowers some have grass boards some don't this probably is not clear without pictures.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

johnR says 2019-10-01 23:23:56 (CST)

Scott, I will attempt to load a photo of my #9 sickle that shows the end section that I think kc was talking about. That "second" extra should reach past the last ledger plate to cut that material near the grass board. Perhaps this helps? johnR

Scott N says 2019-10-11 17:14:56 (CST)

Thanks KC and John for your input. This gives me some ideas to work with. My mower has the smooth edge sickle sections and serrated guards. Have you converted yours? Which is better?
Thanks again,
Scott

johnR says 2019-11-20 19:18:01 (CST)

Scott, sorry for the long delay. Just don't check in much when we're busy with harvest. Yes, I have converted the bar on my mower, basically for two reasons:
1) As the ledger plates dull, I find it a hassle to deal with rivets to replace. I grew up with rivets, I can do rivets, but I just don't care for them with guards. I would rather do rivets on sickles.
2) When I changed to smooth guard / serrated section, I also began using the adjustable hold down. I really like being able to easily adjust the clearance between hold down and sickle to keep accurate clean cutting without too much drag. johnR

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.