Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

4 years ago

rh comment count

OK. This is not the deepest topic, but...

I saw an episode of Green Acres. (Yup. That 1960s TV show about farm life.) In the intro, he's driving an ancient Ford tractor and, if you look close, in addition to the driver's seat there's a steel implement seat bolted on to the right fender. Is there any practical reason this would be there?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbPAt1_vc4

G.D.Rose says 2019-05-08 15:04:00 (CST)

It’s there for the wife to sit on. I did not watch the show you mentioned so I really don’t know, but when I was a kid a old neighbor lady told me a story about herself when first married, the only vehicle that they owned was the tractor they farmed with. When she needed to go to town her husband or she would drive the ten mile to on the tractor and get what they needed. What was the best part of the story was she was smiling the whole time, about the hard times that they had made it through.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-05-08 16:09:58 (CST)

I also thought the seat was meant to take an additional passenger along. When I was a kid in Bavaria there were a lot of farmers whose only motorized vehicle was a tractor. They usually had benches over either one of the rear wheels to take other family members along.

vince mautino says 2019-05-09 09:06:03 (CST)

Never had a seat, but I sure rode on the fender of our H and M Internationals sitting side ways with my feet inside. I guess today folks would think that was to dangerous. If there were more than one riding, we all stood on the draw bar in back.

K.C. Fox says 2019-05-10 20:37:57 (CST)

Now I will tell, My seat was on a M IHC there was a shield over the PTO shaft on the tractor I set there looking back. I rode a lot of miles there in front of a hay sled with a stack of hay on just waiting to pitch it off to feed the cows or I rode my horse.

BrianL says 2019-05-18 07:21:29 (CST)

Makes sense. Riding on the fender of a farm tractor is the rural equivalent of the thousands and thousands of suburban kids in the 60s who rode in the back of their parent's station wagon without any seatbelts on and the rear window wide open. Now it would be considered gross negligence and child endangerment. Then it was how you take a days long road trip with kids! We never bounced out the back of the car. I guess we survived. Somehow. ;)

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.