Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

We finally got to use our new plow! We purchased the newer, updated version of the Homesteader in the spring of 2018, but they had taken the plow off the market for a redesign. After a trial run through 2018, The first two updated plows were produced in November, and we got one. I finally got to use it today.

As would be expected with any multi-purpose tool, it has some minor flaws. I am only mentioning them, as I have seen the discussion come up a few times, and no one seems to have the answer. Overall, though I absolutely loved it! So, in case anyone was wondering, below are my thoughts....

1. When the plow is disengaged, it bumps along on the bottom of the seat. No biggie though. It rides about 2 inches off the ground, which worried me at first, but never gave me a problem. I drove it up my gravel driveway, and across my pasture to the garden area without issue. It just clears.
2. I have driven several sulky plows, and never felt comfortable with them. They seemed very unstable, and if anything went wrong, the rider can pop right up out of the seat. That is not a problem on the Homesteader! It is totally stable, can turn either direction, has foot rests that won’t tangle your feet in any way, and it doesn’t feel like you’ll bounce out of the seat or flip with every bump. That being said, it does work a bit opposite a sulky. A sulky is often foot controlled, while the Homesteader is a hand lever. A sulky seat position levels out in the furrow, while the Homesteader is level on flat ground and Unlevel in the furrow.
3. The biggest issue I had is due to the centered tongue. Unlike a sulky, which has an offset pole, the Homesteader is centered. The plow is centered on the pole. Thus, in order to plow much ground, you have to ensure the lead-side horse keeps a nice space between it and the right side furrow horse. If she drifts toward the furrow, the plow will drift into the furrow. All in all, really not a big deal. It just took some getting used to.
4. The right side wheel of the Homesteader has to be adjusted to its narrowest setting on the axle in order to get it to drop down into the furrow. The left wheel can be on any setting.
5. Like a sulky, The plow has to be dropped as the horses start up. It cannot be forced into the ground, but will suck itself right in with no problem as long as horses are moving. At the end of the row, simply have the horses take a step or two back, and the plow can be easily lifted out of the ground. Backing is something you shouldn’t do in a sulky, but is no problem with the Homesteader.

Today, I used my team of 15.2 and 16 hand mares to plow clay ground. The plow is a 12 inch Kverneland. The ground had only been lightly plowed (with a sulky) and disced one other time, last spring, as this is a newer garden. We did not have time to remove the paint, so I was curious how well it would pull with paint on. It wasn’t a problem. Pioneer has asked us to bring the Homesteader and all attachments to Horse Progress Days this summer, so hopefully we’ll be there to show it in action. Below is a link to a quick video of the plow in action, if anyone is interested. Hope that helps!

youtu.be/M2NE1_CrtWc

hag says 2019-03-25 07:34:51 (CST)

Very good review! I am interested in the homesteader as well but havent got up the nerve to turn loose of the money and place the order hahaha!

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-03-25 10:02:18 (CST)

Good to hear from you, Danielle. Your plowing looks very fine. I cannot do any plowing here yet, our soil is way too wet and also still too cold. So my seed potatoes will have to wait. Maybe I can plant the cabbages by the weekend, my hoop house tomatoes will go in too.

Redgate says 2019-03-25 21:33:14 (CST)

Hag, I hope it was helpful! I agree, it’s a chunk of change! We debated for a couple years, then heard about the flaws, but also heard there was a redesign. We did a ton of research, talked to market gardeners, found a few folks who had the old style, and decided to wait for the new one. We calculated that it was much cheaper to buy the one piece with all its attachments than to buy individual pieces of equipment, plus we didn’t need much storage space for it. In addition, yes, you might find old pieces for cheaper, but personally, I don’t think you could beat the safety of the Homesteaders design for its purposes. That in itself has value!

Klaus, we are located up on a Bluff, so our soil drains nicely. Neighboring farms won’t be getting into their fields for weeks or even a couple months. I’m trying to beat the rainy season and get my seedlings in the ground ASAP. The late freeze really set us back a few weeks. If all goes well and rain holds off, I should have my first crop of peas and brassicas going out later this week. Still a lot to do to prep the gardens though! This implement has really cut the time spent prepping though! I am breaking through clay soil. Some we broke up a bit last year, but some is virgin clay. The plow slices through the sod like a hot knife through butter! It’s a beautiful thing!!

Scott S says 2019-03-28 20:25:06 (CST)

Cool. Very good video looks like good time.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

BrianL says 2019-04-02 14:28:55 (CST)

Glad the Homesteader is working out for you. I've had one for a while now and with two other plows kicking around (along with other duplicate implements), I don't use it all that much and am probably selling it to make some room. But for someone looking for a nice all-around tool, Pioneer did a good job with this one.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.