Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

5 years ago

rh comment count

We had almost torrential rains this afternoon, and so it was a good opportunity to watch Rural Heritage. Every time we get to see more of Ralph Rice's operation I am impressed with how the farm is not only astoundingly diversified, but how neat and practical everything is. The maple syrup production again, after all the other examples we have seen, reflects the man's ingenuity. My hat is off to you, Ralph!
And, of course, I always like to see your splendid horses working.
Have you ever tipped over your sap collection sled?

There is only one thing I have to criticize, Ralph, why do you live so far away?

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2018-06-20 09:06:48 (CST)

Klaus, Thank you for your very kind words. I am glad to hear that you like the program. Uncle Joe does an amazing job with his camera and editing!
I, luckily have not tipped over a sap sled yet. The old style sled was much more prone to tipping than the long tailed one I now use. I also try to keep my sap roads in good condition and free from obstacles. Notice I said, "yet". I hope not to tip one over but stuff happens , as they say!
Like you, I wish we were a bit closer. Us draft animal guys are spread out pretty far. Having a like minded neighbor would make things more fun and even more doable. Things like binding, shocking and threshing oats for example, could be a fun event and useful endeavor. Logging goes much better with two teams and two teamsters in the woods. Jason Julian and his buddies removing ash trees in his area during winter, is an example of what I'm talking about.
I guess the only thing good about us being spread out, is that we are an example to newbies and young folks who want to enjoy the same things that we do. It give us the opportunity to teach and share...after all isn't that what life is all about?
I do hope/plan to make a tip your way sometime for a meet and greet. Next week HPD in Michigan. I hope to see lots of "Porchers" there :o)

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.