Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Looks like draft prospects are so slim I am going to have to get some light horses if I am going to get another team going.
Have any of you teamsters started some young quarter horses ?
I did drive a broke saddle that I had but he was fairly well broke under saddle and I think that does hinder their training for draft work.
Maybe if they were started fresh as drafts it would make the training easier ? Opinions are helpful !

vince mautino says 2018-04-09 13:21:47 (CST)

Depends what the projected use is. In the past,all stage coach horses, buggies, etc used light horses. The Amish use mostly saddelbreds for their buggies. You won't get the work out of them as heavy horses and might not get the calm disposition that many heavy horse breeds have

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-04-09 15:05:36 (CST)

In Bavaria I also had several warm-bloods, all of which but one, I also trained to be hitched . Vince is right about not getting the same kind of work out of them as with drafts. They are not bred for that. But light work, like haywork, we did. However, when you check various Internet sites for plowing with horses, occasionally you'll see a rare team of light workhorses. They'll just pull a smaller plow. I think it is very important with those light breeds that right from the beginning one builds up their self-confidence even more than with drafts and absolutely avoids overloading them. They might , depending on individual disposition, still be willing to try and do the work, they'll just will resort to do it with greater speed, and that can be dangerous - to horse and driver!

Dan in Illinois says 2018-04-09 21:23:12 (CST)

Around here the least expensive team would be green haflingers. Went to couple auctions in Kentucky last winter and could have bought all the haflingers I could haul for $1000 pair. Seems a lot of quarter horses are prone to run off. I tease the neighbor that he needs to get a real quarter horse like Walmart so he could unplug it when it acted up, LOL.

smith says 2018-04-09 21:39:51 (CST)

Thank you Vince, I have to do the raking on about 30 acres a year. There is not a whole i will be able to do with them this year as 2 year olds. I have abit of discing for shelter belts.Also I need about 10 cords of wood to get in.Plenty of small things to help get them going and ease into the training. i appreciate your insight .

smith says 2018-04-11 14:22:00 (CST)

Klaus, that is encouraging, thanks for your insight and experience.
Dan ,that is a surprise,and I wish I could get in on some green horses for that price. I went to the first sale of the year here on Tue. And only 34 horses total
15 saddle horses and the balance were loose horses all very old and thin. Not one with any draft. About .60 cents for the better ones.The May sale may have more I hope. Thanks smith

Dan in Illinois says 2018-04-15 20:55:02 (CST)

Smith where you located, how far you willing to travel? I hear of horses and mules for sale all the time. Know of a pair 7-8 yr. old haflinger mares broke to work anything with new harness for$3000 in Mississippi though.

smith says 2018-04-15 21:43:13 (CST)

Dan ,I am in west central Mt. Thanks for the help . I am mainly interested in horses that have not been trained and I really enjoy starting from scratch, If they don't turn out I know who caused it !

Jonathan Shively says 2018-04-17 08:30:24 (CST)

When I was training outside horses. I preferred, untouched horses. Spoiled horses that don't know if they are a horse, human or dog can be very dangerous. The ONE thing about an untouched horse, what it learns it learns from you. They are a blank slate. Good luck.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.