Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I have a Mule that I am having difficulty fitting for a collar. She has about a 4" wide band or crest on topline of neck so when I fit a collar that is the proper length there is a hollow in middle of neck under collar. To help this I use a pad I am using a 1/2" felt pad because it was thinnner than a deerhair pad because on top part of neck the collar fits snug. With the pad the top part of collar is too tight but without pad the collar does not sit agains neck in middle. As well she is a black mule and the hair on neck where collar sits is bleaching turning a slight red, I don't think these felt pads breathe well and I think it is getting too hot.? I have also wet this collar and then used it on Mule all day to try and conform shape but still not great any ideas would be appreciated. thank you

Todd NE WY says 2018-03-19 11:36:07 (CST)

Any chance of a picture or sketch of what you are describing? I think I know what you are asking but a picture would be great.

I was able to get better collar fit by using "stretchers" in strategic spots in the collar. My blue roan belgian wore a 32" collar but it was more the width in the middle of his neck than the total height, when I was trying to fit collars on him they would be supper tight in the middle and gap at the top, I was able to stretch the middle while it was hanging in the barn so when I put it on him it had the same shape as his neck and the fit was right. What I used to stretch it was the bar wood clamps with the pads turned around so they were pushing out.

Todd

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-03-20 08:59:54 (CST)

I have been using the vinyl covered pads fo many years now and they are great: No rubbing or chafing, and easy to clean! And they stay in place.

vince mautino says 2018-03-20 11:21:20 (CST)

Is this a team situation where there is lot of weight from the pole being put on the collar? If so, you might try to find a way to reduce that.

Those cresty necks on mules are hard to get rid of. I think proper collar fit about the shoulders and draft area, plus throat clearance is more important than that top fit. I'd try to find some fairly stiff foam, 4-6 pound density and fashion a piece to fit in that gap, A lot of folks work with no pads at all. IMHO, they are strickly a means of finishing a fit that isn't just quite right. A lot of hard work this spring and summer and a careful eye on the feed consumption should take care of that crest.

JimA says 2018-03-20 20:04:10 (CST)

Take the stuffing out of a cloth pad to relive pressure on the crest(fat roll) on the neck.More work or less feed or that roll will get worse

DSASK says 2018-03-21 13:38:29 (CST)

Thank you guys these are all good advice, Sorry Tod for not getting a sketch to you, you did understand what I was describing. This is a team but I don't think my pole is too heavy I think the main problem is she is too fat, It seems like the neck roll is the last to go, and she seems to gain weight just looking at grass. Im getting some white hairs on either side of neck roll so I know my collar is too tight at top, the only reason I am using a pad is because when she does loose some weight the collar seems to have space in middle and still snug at top so pad was to fill in gaps. Can't help but thinking the vinyl pads would be hot as well but maybe I am wrong I have never tried one will look into this some more. Never thought of taking out some stuffing. Thanks a lot for the ideas

Redgate says 2018-03-22 21:38:43 (CST)

This may show my naïveté, but I once saw a guy working a horse with the collar pad installed upside down in the collar. It didn’t make any sense to me, but now I wonder if it would be the answer to your problem....temporarily at least. It seems like flipping the pad so it goes under the neck instead of over the neck might give the finished fit, while the split in the pad would allow a bit of extra clearance at the top for the neck roll. Not sure if it’s the right answer, just a thought.

DSASK says 2018-03-23 10:04:40 (CST)

Thats an interesting thought Thanks

JimA says 2018-03-24 14:25:12 (CST)

That works on a horses they are cresty at the top of the neck,mules tend to crest a little down on the sides

BrianL says 2018-04-11 14:00:08 (CST)

The harness maker that is associated with Pioneer offers a mule-specific collar. horsecollars.com/mule_and_irish_logging.html Never tried it on my mules but if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how it's working out.

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

DSASK says 2018-04-14 13:22:37 (CST)

Good to know thanks

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.