Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

like a lot of you have said, my mules (2) have access to the barn at all times but will usually only go in it to escape the heat/flies in the summer. I realize it must not bother them but i hate to see them standing out in the rain,ice,snow. I was thinking of just building one wall as a windbreak and putting a roof over the lee side, leaving 3 sides open so they could see in all directions. Has anybody tried anything like this or will they still stand out in the weather? I know, I know,they really dont NEED it. It is really only for my peace of mind. ha ha

BrianL says 2018-02-08 22:14:18 (CST)

My mules have 24/7 access to a nice sheltered barn with their own individual stalls. In winter there are hay bags in each stall. They are, some might say, spoiled in many ways. During the worst of winter's wrath and on the coldest of nights (i.e. -40 windchill) I will look out the kitchen window and there they are, standing contentedly in the lee of the barn, outside.

You can build your shelter. It'd be a nice gesture. Might even make a good place to keep your wheelbarrow since the mules may not use it.

I find as long as they have an endless supply of hay and they are dry, nothing fazes them. Although, kidding aside, if the shelter you propose allows them to be outside and out of the wind at the same time, they might appreciate it.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Andy Daniel says 2018-02-09 08:24:50 (CST)

I have a pair of really great mules. They say outside in all weather except hot weather. In the hot summer they stay in the barn with the fan on. Yes they are a little spoiled, but the fan keeps the flies away also.

K.C. Fox says 2018-02-09 14:54:25 (CST)

I have about 6 mules 14 horses I unrolled a 1400 lbs bale of hay yesterday behind the shelter belt for them, today there all out on the flat eating grass. It is snowing and blowing it is there choice, yesterday they filled up and today there out looking just normal animals they have 1 1/2 sections to run in I give them some feed in a feed bunk every other day enough to keep them coming in to the buildings

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.