Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I'd like to find some pictures or drawings of the 3 wheel wagons that KM or some of the others have built. I got to this party late and the pictures that were here are gone now. I found some drawings on the internet a few days ago but wasn't smart enough to save them when I had the chance.
I'm wanting to build a couple for myself. One wagon big enough for a cake feeder and some hay and another big enough to haul some fencing tools and maybe some salt and mineral. (glorified fore cart)
I'm a welder with a pretty good iron pile and access to some outdated farm equipment and some other rolling stock. I also wasn't smart enough to buy an auto steer running gear at a sale I was at.
If any one could post a link or tell me where to find some of them I'd appreciate it.

Bryan

NoraWI says 2018-01-20 12:12:52 (CST)

Bob Ericson has built some three wheeled carts. Maybe he can share some of his knowhow? He, too, is into working with metal and welding.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Dusty 4R says 2018-01-20 13:37:57 (CST)

Go to Wyoming livestock roundup Facebook, scroll down to Jan 3 posting. On that issue is a picture of Wes Lupher with 3 wheel cart. Some in Wyoming and near driggs Id use them. They're ok for turning but it's just an extra track( in the middle) if you have deep snow. I don't know where you live but if not much snow it should be ok. I pay attention to things like that, we go down a lot of two track roads. Not sure the back wheel match the two track. Check it out.

Plainsman says 2018-01-20 22:13:32 (CST)

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Oklahoma Panhandle so deep snow happens but not that often and not necessarily every year. I'll be making sure mine fits a two track on the back because that's about all it'll get for roads.I did find that face book picture.

K.C. Fox says 2018-01-21 09:42:47 (CST)

On KM's bale feeder the rear wheels set outside the bale I don't think that can be made to follow a pickup trail in the pastures & the front wheel makes for a very rough ride in the winter. the single wheel in the front would not make it a good ride, but when the ground is frozen and the cow chips also nothing makes a good ride. the 3 wheeled outfit looks like a real nice way to feed cows, we use a forecart with 6 HP motor and a Hydraulic pump on a bale unroller works fairly good.

Dusty 4R says 2018-01-22 10:25:20 (CST)

Well, you'll have to build whatever suits your needs. I build, weld, modify, buy whatever we need here also. We don't use round bales here but they may be coming as the large square balers are too expensive and too large( big tractors needed) . I have relatives in the oakwood , watonga area, Woodward etc. I was born and raised outside watonga.
So I do know you have to watch out for tornados. We had to rebuild twice while there. Good luck in the panhandle.

Todd NE WY says 2018-01-22 10:59:32 (CST)

Bryan,

See if Uncle Joe has a copy of the June-July 2013 issue or RH he would sell you. It has the complete run down on the design and construction of the 3 wheel bale mover/unroller.

Todd

Plainsman says 2018-02-19 20:17:58 (CST)

It's getting close enough to the farm sale season that I'm going to see if I can buy a running gear before I start building something. There are some on the internet auction sites but most of them are in IN, IA, or somewhere way off right at the moment.

Dusty,
I lived west of Vici, OK and then southwest of Arnett, OK for a lot of years before I moved home. I've worked a lot in the area where you grew up and have relatives.

Bryan

Wes Lupher says 2018-02-20 21:59:49 (CST)

Woops.
The old keyboard is giving me fits.

I have three of those 3 wheeled outfits now.
They're very handy and easy to maneuver. I recommend them.

The little chore wagon is made with an extra spring axle I had laying around. The front wheel came from an old self propelled swather.
I use it for hauling light loads of grain or fencing materials. Occasionally for light feeding chores.

The bigger wagon sees more use. Ton and a half capacity (which I tend to push the limits of a bit much) and a 14 foot bed. The front of it was from a potato planter.

The bale unroller is of similar design using the swather crazy wheel and stub axles on either side of the unit that were scavenged from John Deere square balers.

I'm sure Uncle Joe has some pictures from a back issue.

Sorry, but I have troubles with our old computer in getting pictures uploaded.

Uncle Joe says 2018-02-21 05:56:08 (CST)

Great to see you back on the porch, Wes. I enjoy your posts and photos on Facebook.

Here's the bale unroller Kari built for Wes.

Joe

Mike Rock says 2018-02-21 10:46:42 (CST)

Wes,
Missed your posts. Welcome home!

How are the bales held, just a lot of pressure on each end, or some rod penetration for a foot or so in on each side? I was thinking pressure on pads at first, then realized the core of the bale would collapse when the outside got part way unrolled.

Very slick setup. How many pump strokes does it take to clamp or spear the bale, then how many to lift it? An Amish friend of mine has a hand hydraulic setup with two speeds, like some jacks.

God bless.
Mike

Wish I was back home in southwestern SD. Wisconsin is green, but I miss the wide open. Here there is a fence every quarter mile and no one walks or rides a horse to work or get around....sad.

Plainsman says 2018-02-22 20:49:01 (CST)

I appreciate the picture and the explanations. It looks really handy!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.