Our horses have had very poor, temporary excuses for shelters the last couple years, since we moved their track down into the woods. Hubby finally got to mill some lumber last month, though, and we got their new, permanent shelter put in place. It’s beautiful, spacious, sits up on a sandy, well-drained hill so it stays dry, and we built the wood sides to give lots of wind break. When we first put it up, they seemed to approve. Based on the marks in the sand, they spent quite a bit of time in it for a few days. Last night, we had our first downpour. At chore time this morning, hubby was shocked to find them all standing at the bottom of the hill, in a muddy mess, soaking wet, and far from their shelter. The stinkers! You can give a horse shelter, but you can’t make him use it!
Nonetheless, I’m still proud of it. We used one of those garage kits we had elsewhere on the Farm, disassembled it, moved it back into the woods, and reassembled it. Then, we attached wood studs to the steel studs, so we could have something easier to screw in to. Next, we put up siding. We ran out of lumber, so he has to mill another log, but we will finish the second side and then ad trim. I think it turned out nice, and only took about two and a half days to complete so far once the lumber was milled.