Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 6 years ago

6 years ago

rh comment count

Here in my area of western Nebraska it’s 6 am 20 degrees out with our first snow of the year of 1 inch. Glad it’s not more for I have to much fence yet to put in be for the snow gets deep and the ground freezes. Hope everyone else is staying warm.

K.C. Fox says 2017-11-07 09:23:35 (CST)

A friend of mine came from Idaho falls ID on I 15 yesterday he came across I 80 WY last night just east of Rock Springs WY he found the snow. he is in Kimball Ne He is still in the snow. Wrecks on ELK MT was real bad so he went around on HY30. Sherman MT was just A white out no wind or it would have been real bad, Not that it was good. It was snowing so hard in Cheyenne that you could miss your Exit. It is still snowing at Kimball Ne He needs to be in Grand island NE this afternoon. Monday night at 11 I got in the truck and went to Chadron Ne to pick up a load of cows Just west of Valentine it started to snow so hard that you could just see the road I stopped at Cody Ne just to let the ice melt off of the windshield so that I could see only 26 miles when I left Cody just wet roads from there to Chadron made it ok.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-11-07 19:53:06 (CST)

No snow around here yet that would last despite a few now showers the other day, but we have had a couple of freezing nights already and tonight it is supposed to go down to 26 degrees again. The season is winding down here, we harvested the last of the radishes today. Over the last couple of days I pulled all the tomato stakes (almost 800) and stacked inside one of the hoop houses. It was very light work for our horses to transport them there, but a lot of pulling, yanking , bending and lifting for me. Now there is only the rest of the cabbage, kale and arugula out there, waiting to be harvested during Thanksgiving week for our restaurant customers and then hopefully we'll also get a nice blanket of snow to cover everything. I will spread manure and/or compost during winter. Due to the torrential rains we are getting in early spring now that climate change doubtless is upon us, I have cut down on fall/winter plowing a lot, do it only there, where the ground is rather flat. Otherwise I plow shortly before I need to at the beginning of the new season.
But I have lots of firewood to cut and like doing it, just in case, anybody might think there is nothing to do in winter.

G.D.Rose says 2017-11-07 20:38:20 (CST)

Sounds like your friend was having a tough trip hope he made it all right. The parts of Wyoming you was talking about can be weather can pretty tough at times. On your trip to Chadron you passed through my home town of Gordon, glad you had a safe trip.

Andy Daniel says 2017-11-08 05:10:55 (CST)

I live in Georgia, seldom snow, if it does snow it's a holiday. DOT is getting better. I understand you have adapted and deal with the weather because it is normal. I say hate congratulations!

Andy Daniel says 2017-11-08 05:14:13 (CST)

Correction. I say hats off congratulations!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-11-08 18:40:40 (CST)

Our first snow of the season is forecast for Friday. They say an inch along with the coldest temperatures since last spring. Its winter I guess. Bring on the snow and bring out the sleigh bells!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.