Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

First one, I would like to know if those pull behind mowers , that have their own motor has the power to mow tall grass that has not been grazed this year. I'm talking slew grass, switchgrass little bluestem, and maybe willows about 3 feet tall. I would like to know if you're pulling a high gear #9 behind a side by side what speed is ideal. I build fence for living and am trying to find a way to knock down the tall grass before I start on a stretch of fence.

JerryHicks says 2017-10-23 06:28:41 (CST)

This is just an opinion in regards to the second question, but I would say not to pull the mower much faster than 2.5 miles per hour. This about walking speed of a team. A good many horse drawn mowers were ruined by pulling them with a tractor. They were pulled at higher speeds which would cause heating in the gears which in turn, would cause crystallizing of the metal. Also pulled at higher speeds, with the driver in front of the mower rather than on the mower can result in the mower hitting objects that may not be noticed from the seat, causing damage to the mower or cutter bar. Now, that being said, there are trail gear number 9s that were built for faster speeds and might be a good option. I have a newer 456 new Holland trailer mower that I pull with a tractor. It has a nine foot bar. My Amish neighbor uses the same mower, pulled behind a fore cart by a team, but he has a motor on the mower. This also might be a good option. Around here New Holland and New Idea trailer mowers are still fairly common and can be picked up for a hundred bucks and up. I paid 600 for mine with two new knives. I did change out the rubber tires though and replaced them with steel wheels. We have a lot of honey locusts and it's hard to keep the tires up on implements here.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

G.D.Rose says 2017-10-24 06:58:11 (CST)

Thanks Jerry for the information on the # 9 high gear I have. A normal trail mower would work, but my problem I have no pto source. Distance is another factor, example the job I'm on right know it's a 7.5 mile job that's 6 miles to the nearest county road or house, so I'm looking for some thing that I could pull with a side by side.

JerryHicks says 2017-10-25 05:22:42 (CST)

I think that with the distance you mention would be all the more reason to get a mower like the 456 New Holland (if you want to stick with a sickle bar). It comes with readily available rubber tires. ( I replace mine with steel, but I don't pull it on the road). You could remove the pto and replace it with a motor. I would venture to say that motor, mower and all you would have less than a thousand in it and would have a very serviceable mower. If you go with the old New Idea you would probably get by for half that. My Amish neighbors also pull a bush hog with a motor on the deck with three mules. I've always been troubled by the idea of it throwing something forward into the team but they tell me it doesn't happen. I've been think I would go watch them and see how it works and maybe set one of these up for mowing hillsides on my place.

G.D.Rose says 2017-10-25 07:03:36 (CST)

Thanks for the idea of putting a motor on a mower somehow will look into this winter after I get my contracts completed.

Mr. Haney says 2017-10-25 09:32:22 (CST)

Your question about mowing fence lines.I also do custom fencing and have to mow paths along the lines.I found the walk behind self propelled 4ft mower to be ideal.Small enough to fit in a pickup but large enough to get a nice path made to build fence.8 foot wide when you mow both ways.

Mr. Haney says 2017-10-25 12:30:28 (CST)

Forgot to mention it is a sickle bar mower.Would not use a rotary mower one loose wire would cause a mess wrapped up in your mower.

G.D.Rose says 2017-10-25 20:42:49 (CST)

To Mr. Haney please give me a call would like to visit with other custom fencers call 308 360 0866. I looked into one of those walk behind mowers, but I didn't want to walk that far, my fence lines has been 1 mile up to 4.3 one way.

K.C. Fox says 2017-10-25 23:51:18 (CST)

I know a man who used a 12 hp gas motor on A IHC sickle bar mower with a 9ft bar he said a team could mow all day with it set up that way

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.