Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I hate to ask this because I think the old school way works the best. However, I am in my third month of nursing an ever-worsening case of tennis elbow in my right arm. My attempt to use the peening jig ended in defeat yesterday. I can't lift my arm enough to tap the cap of the jig with a hammer. Is there a alternative method that I could use, even if it doesn't work as well? Bench grinder, for example?I have a 22 inch Schroeckenfux blade. I need my scythe to cut hay, so I'll have to buy another blade to use while I send this one to be sharpened if I can't figure something out.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-05-21 20:55:54 (CST)

Wanderosa, I hate to tell you this, but no method works as well as peening. I have used scythes for over 50 years and I still haven't found a better way. But actually one doesn't have to lift the arm to use the hammer and the peening jig. If you hold your lower arm horizontally from the elbow on, all the motion comes from the hand. The handle of the hammer is held as far back as you can manage and the movement comes from the wrist.
If you absolutely have to use a grinder, a minimum of grinding from both sides will do, then you use a whetting stone.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

vince mautino says 2017-05-22 09:45:46 (CST)

It has been along while,but we used to use a small flat fine file about eight- ten inches long.

I would lay it flat ,resting along the cutting edge and the heavy ridge along the rear edge of the blade. Using long single strokes from the mounting end of the blade to the tip.
It might take a bit to get the angle of the cutting edge aligned with that back bar like ridge at the back of the blade, but once done , it can be sharpened quickly.

I spent summers working in a tree nursery cutting high grass along the rows as a tractor was too wide.

Wanderosa says 2017-05-22 12:16:50 (CST)

I do need to drill a new log for the jig. Left the old one behind when we moved and I've been lazy and using a bench vice to hold it instead. I guess "lifting" the hammer isn't a good description. Just moving my arm laterally to put my 12oz coffee cup in the holder in the console of the car hurts like heck. Unfortunately, even though you feel it most in the elbow the problem is caused by overuse in the wrist and hand. :( Still, I'll try lowering the jig so my arm is more in line with the way Klaus suggested. It might be enough to shift the motion to different tendons in the arm. I'm going to see if the father of one of my daughters' friends can help next time he's in town. He's Irish and has used a scythe before.

Ironically, I think the whole thing was caused by using power equipment. I'm a petite woman with hands proportionate to my size. The safety triggers on weed eaters, saws, etc are scaled for a man's hand and I'm overextending my grip when I use them. I'm slowly switching my woodworking tools over to all hand tools as I have the extra cash to buy the good stuff.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-05-22 19:12:02 (CST)

I commend you for using a scythe. Hopefully there is a gentleman nearby who can help with the peening. People around here sometimes bring me a scythe to sharpen, but you probably live too far away.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.